Skip to content
Probiotics and diarrhea
lisamarie001 posted:
I've been seeing people talk about Lee Swanson Signature Probiotics and I'm not sure if I'm a candidate right now. My UC is now spread throughout my colon and I've had bowel incontinence with bloody diarrhea for some time now. Just got out of the hospital (severely dehydrated, acute renal failure, hypokalemia) and started on Humira and steroids. I will see my GI in about two weeks and I planned to ask him at that time if I should try these supplements. I've been on a low residue/lactose free diet since being in the hospital and I'm still having diarrhea around the clock. Just needed some insight on this supplement. Is it meant for people who have diarrhea?

arbob5 responded:
I was diagnosed with UC almost 6 years ago. I had a terrible time getting it under control, but when I started on Dr. Swanson's Ultimate Formula probiotics, they helped so much, that my Dr., who was so-so about probiotics, now suggests them for other patients. Unfortunately, they don't help everyone, but I would say they do make a difference in the majority of those I've recommended them to. Hopefully you will be someone who really benefits from their use.

Right now, I am dealing with a C Diff infection, which is a bacterial infection usually caused by antibiotic use. It causes moderate to severe watery diarrhea. I had open heart surgery a couple of months ago, aortic valve replacement, and received antibiotics then, and also, this infection is quite common, and very contagious, at hospitals. The surgery was really much, much easier than I expected it to be, and I was home in 4 days. Recovery depends on how much rehab the patient gets. I'm one of the lucky ones. I was able to get rehab at home and these therapists were strict, but that helped the healing process tremendously.

I'm on an antibiotic now for the C Diff, Flagyl, which does take care of C Diff infections and isn't a n antibiotic that can cause it, and hopefully this med will help. I have to take 3 a day for two weeks.

Anyway, I can highly recommend probiotics. There are many on the market, but Dr. Swanson's made a difference for me.

If you do try them, or another one over the counter, let us know how you're doing, ok? We can all learn and help others here that may have the same or similar problems.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was first diagnosed with UC in 2008 and took Asacol and Canasa for about a year before taking some advice from a friend and trying a strict gluten f...More

Helpful Tips

Joint Pain
For those posting with arthritic problems and joint discomfort, I have lymes disease and fibromyalgia. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.