Skip to content
colitis
jan201136 posted:
can anyone help me...i was just diagnosed with colitis. however, whenever i look up colitis, ulcerative colitis comes up. is colitis and ulcerative colitis the same thing?

hannahleigh89 responded:
Sometimes the terms are used synonymously and sometimes they mean different things. You need to clarify with your doctor what type of colitis that you have. Some types of colitis are just temporary inflammation in the colon that can be cured or treated with antibiotics and other medications. Ulcerative colitis currently has no cure, except for total removal of the colon.

miserable_sob replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Don't get Hannah wrong, removal of the colon is not really a cure for Ulcerative Colitis, it's nothing but a cheap bandage repair that comes with its difficulties. I say that after living without a colon since 1988. From everything I've been through since I had my colon removed, I wish I had it back now.

arbob5 replied to miserable_sob's response:
Hanna does know what she's talking about. She's been there done that and is in school now to become a nurse. And I am absolutely certain that she will be a super nurse. She has had her problems, had surgeries, and still persists and doesn't let it get her down. She is a positive person. I'm certain she had her "bad" days, but she continues to be positive, and you can be sure she will give you good advice.

hannahleigh89 replied to miserable_sob's response:
Technically speaking, it is absolutely a cure. You can't have a diseased colon when you no longer have a colon.

hannahleigh89 replied to arbob5's response:
Haha, thanks for defending me! I actually have completed nursing school and I will finish my bachelor's degree at the end of the year.

arbob5 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Congrats on completing nursing school. To be honest, and to use the old phrase (time flies), it seems like yesterday when you started nursing school. And defending you was so easy. You have experienced it yourself. And jan201136, follow up with your Dr. as Hanna suggests. Keep us posted on how you're doing, OK?

miserable_sob replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Technically a cure is keeping your colon and eliminating the disease, not amputating your colon. That's nothing but a sad compromise.

arbob5 replied to miserable_sob's response:
Unfortunately, there is no cure for this disease. If only.........

miserable_sob replied to arbob5's response:
You're correct arbob5, until they find a way to defeat colitis without removing your colon there really is no cure. I certainly wouldn't call my j-pouch "a cure" not even a bandage.

hannahleigh89 replied to miserable_sob's response:
Haha, okay, whatever dude.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 45 and was diagnosed with Crohn's about 14 years ago. For many years I had few intestinal symptoms but have now been on Humira for a year...More

Helpful Tips

Crohn's Cure - Fecal Transplants Saved My Life!!!
I was very ill with Crohn's for years and finally tried Sky Curtis's protocol for doing fecal transplants at home. After years of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.