Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
chronic inflammation of J-pouch
sim59 posted:
was just informed that, after a pouchoscopy, my J-pouch is in a state of chronic inflammation. I've had my pouch since 1995, no major issues other than one or 2 bouts of pouchitis. current doctor is recommending an ongoing course of 6-MP to help manage what he's calling ulcerative colitis around the pouch.

has anyone else had this issue, or can tell me more about their involvement with 6-MP? I recall taking it orally when i was first diagnosed with UC back in the mid 1980's (when it was first introduced and experimental), and then need to monitor WBC and kidney functions via regular bloodword.

Thanks in advance!

miserable_sob responded:
Welcome to the club. I've been stuck with a j-pouch since 1988. Pouchitis and all that crap is part of the territory. About the only thing I can do at times to make my miserable pouch more tolerable is diet or starve myself. 6-MP is new to me. I've pretty much had it with trying drug after drug only to learn you can't defeat the laws of physics. If I had it my way, I'd gladly live with my diseased colon again. I actually miss it now.

hannahleigh89 responded:
I have a j-pouch but mine is fairly new. I got it in 2010. I also have Crohn's disease though so my case is a little different. I still have chronic inflammatory problems because of the Crohn's, and I receive an infusion every 28 days to deal with that. I can't take 6-MP so I don't have much information to offer you about it. As far as I know, the drug hasn't changed any in the vast number of years it's been available as a treatment. They do have to do regular blood work to check your counts and your liver function, primarily. Do you have any specific questions about it?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Meg, and I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in July 2007, two weeks before my wedding day. My husband is a pastor, and we are currentl...More

Helpful Tips

Pamper your Bum... As often as Possible
Most of you have heard this, but for you Newbies.. Trust me on this tip. Pamper your Bum, to keep your bum from getting raw and sore use ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.