Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How much would you spend to save your pet?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
This Florida family may end up spending more than $11,000 to save their beloved Lab, Cali, after she was bitten by a rattlesnake .

Would you spend this much money to save your pet?

Where would you draw the line?

Jeune1 responded:
I don't know if I'd think about the money so much as the amount of pain and suffering the animal would experience during treatment. A couple of years ago my 14yo cat developed injection site sarcoma. It's an incredibly aggressive cancer that shrugs off treatment. I could have gone all out in the hopes she would survive the treatment and recover, but this was an animal that HATED to be handled by strangers and HATED other animals. And she had no way to understand why all of the different things were being done to her, she'd just be sick and in pain and scared. And biting a lot of vets and vet techs. There was no way I could put her through that.

I'm still sad about her death but I'm also glad to say she died in her sleep, without having to be put down. Would I do anything differently? No. But do I think these people went overboard? Again, no. In a way my choice was much easier.

CMH7054 replied to Jeune1's response:
I would not let my pet suffer for more than a single second. I fully support anyone's decision on this matter, no matter which way they go. If my little Latte was bit by a rattlesnake I would ask for her suffering to be ended as soon as possible, if the bite didn't kill her outright. I would be horrified to watch her suffer such a thing!

dfromspencer responded:
I would'nt care if it cost me both arms, and legs! A pet is a beloved member of our family. Therefore, it stands to reason, that you would spare no expense to save this beloved member of your family? I know i would!

Anon_320 responded:
I unintentionally spent a huge amount to save one of my dogs. I would be embarrassed to say how much.When he suddenly became deathly ill, I asked what the odds were of his recovery and they told me that if they did certain things, there was a good chance he'd recover, so I said yes. He didn't improve much, but they said if we tried something else, there was a good chance he would. There's a point where you're afraid that you're going to stop one thing short of enough to turn the corner, so you keep agreeing when the vets say one more treatment may do it.

This went on for a few weeks, and every time I talked to the vets, I asked if it was time to have him put down; they always said that there was a good possibility the next treatment would do the trick. I was so angry and devastated when one of the vets -- the one who owned the practice -- finally asked me why I was putting my dog through all that when he obviously wasn't going to get better. I told him that I had questioned that all along, but had followed the recommendations of the other vets to keep trying treatments.

It was a terrible lesson, and I hate that my poor dog's last few weeks consisted of hospitalizations, IV's, injections, trips to the vet and increasing weakness and discomfort. I would never, ever put another dog through all that. If there was a guarantee that an expensive treatment would cure my dog (assuming he wasn't too old), I'd probably do it; otherwise, I would do the humane thing and just let him go.

laurarroberts responded:
I spent over $6,000 on a 4 month old wired haired daushand puppy. She needed a total hip replacement. Then we had her spaded, shots, followup visits. Littlefoot is my princess. She is my child. I have two older children and 3 other dogs. It all just depends on your family situation and your financial situation. If I had the means I would spend the $11,000 on the lab. He/she is helpless and depends on the family. I have no regrets spending the money. Each time I come home or go to sleep at night with that little ball of fur curled up against me I think the Lord that I have something in my life that loves me unconditionally and I can love her back.

lupylisa44 responded:
Since I have no children, my dogs are my kids. I would do anything or spend anything to save their lives or make their lives better. But there is no way I would keep them around for my own sake.If they were in pain, terminally ill or suffering in any way, I would have to put their best interests before mine and do what was best for the dog

Lupylisa

doxielover10 responded:
We have spent $13,000 on surgeries for our Dachshunds. They are the loves of my life.

An_246506 replied to Anon_320's response:
This is a very hard and personal decision. We have cats and have had to face the decision of euthanasia 6 times now, and it is never, ever any easier. I think, when you're in the moment, no amount of money is too much and of course you want to do anything you can for your beloved pet.

We have been blessed in that we have the finances to spend on our cats' care, and we have spent (tens of) thousands over the last 24 years. Sometimes it has worked out wonderfully, and other times we have had to make the decision to euthanize. Every case is different and depends on the family situation, the personality of the pet, and the likelihood of a good outcome. And of course having having a good relationship with a veterinarian you know will give you the options and possible outcomes openly and honestly makes a huge difference.

My condolences to all of you who have lost a pet. I can only restate what a friend once said to me: "just remember the good times and forget about the end."

pdoogs responded:
Whatever it takes unless my pet was elderly and then I think I would treat with all meds and keep him/her comfy until the end. I learned a very hard lesson a few years ago, I had an old Prairie Dog with a liver tumor and knowing how much I loved my pet the vet said essentially you don't know how long he'll live and since he doesn't have any illnesses he should be a good candidate.

The surgery was a success but he had no quality of life until the day he died, which was about 6-8wks later. He'd been on all kinds of meds, I was trying to syringe feed him, he developed thrush(poor thing) and on his last day he wound up having seizures and I ran him to emergency to have my sweet baby put down. I'm so glad a friend was with me because I was hysterical crying then and I'm crying now as I type this.

I learned a very important lesson because of my little Bucky - It wasn't the money. I wanted to do all I could to keep him alive and the Vet did her job - she did a beautiful surgery. But in the end it was just too much for him to go through but once I started I couldn't stop until finally Bucky said "Enough"!

3point14 responded:
I would spend up to $300 to save my cat. That's what's currently saved in our vet fund for her, and unfortunately beyond that there would be no reasonable way for me to afford to be able to save her.

I love my lil' Zelda, and I've done all that I can to make sure her life is comfortable and happy. She's up to date on shots and we spend an hour a day on focused kitty time, lovin' up on her and playing with her lazer pointer. She loves it! It'd break my heart to have to put her up for adoption or God forbid put her to sleep, but she's a pet.

She's not a child, she's not equal to a human, and there's no way I'd force my animal through the indignity of being treated in a way that would scare her and that she wouldn't understand. I adopted her from an absolutely horrible living situation, and I'm never going to see her suffering and slinking around all scared the way she did the first month we had her. If she has a horrible condition that's going to be painful and scary for her, I'd want her to go out with as much dignity, love and joy as possible.

Bulley1030 responded:
I love my dogs, but I can only spend what I have, and $11,0000 is not how much I have. We do annual check ups for shots, and general health. If I notice something weird or something they have eaten I dont freak out I watch their behavior and if it warrants a vet visit, then off we go. They are my babies, and my first dogs ever, but I have to remain realistic. If they get bitten by a snake esp a rattler then they would suffer for WEEKS, and possibly never use that limb the same. Not sure I could have the heart to see them in so much pain. Better to put them to rest then to make them suffer. That's just me though, and I say that logically but inside it would truly rip out my heart to have to say goodbye so unexpectedly.

Anon_2991 responded:
Had to make this decision just last year. The only course of treatment for our mini daschund was a back surgery on a 10 year old dog. We loved her dearly and if they could guarantee this would have saved her, we might have considered the $7K price tag. But without those guarantees and a young son at home, we had to make the tough decision to put her down. We couldn't be financially strapped for the next many years for a surgery that wasn't guaranteed. It's a very personal choice and we miss her daily.

doxielover10 responded:
We have 6 mini Dachshunds and unfortunately they have back problems. These are our children, especially for me, as I was unable to have children. We have spent more than $20,000.00 on back surgeries and I would never stop.

WebMD Talk Show

Feel like a friendly debate? Take the gloves off and defend your viewpoint.

Learn More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Expert Blog

Diagnosis: Reality Check

Putting perspective on health news and names in the spotlight.Read More