Skip to content
Are there jobs for the younger generation only?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Recently, an online journal written by college students set off a firestorm when this article was published:

Why Every Social Media Manager Should Be Under 25

Are there jobs and careers that are only for the young? Do you age out of certain professions?

Share your thoughts and experiences here!

Haylen

Anon_130687 responded:
The idea that social media or other tech jobs are just for 20 somethings is ridiculous.

Just because my daughter knows how to use an ipod doesn't mean she can run a music company.

I would much rather go to a doctor with 20 years of experience under his belt than a whippersnapper fresh out of med school!

Old n' proud

Jeune1 responded:
It reminds me of "Don't trust anyone over 30." Some of my mom's friends would say that when I was little. I suspect they "forgot" when they hit 30.

Some things are really easy to say when you're a certain age. But really, I'm hoping she was just looking for attention (which she has received). Otherwise, it is rather sad.

SoCalSuz replied to Jeune1's response:
I think there are careers better suited for the young - working at a summer camp with kids is one I can think of. But that's only because of patience and stamina!

However, when it comes to working in the corporate world? There are so many skills that you just can't learn from college or an internship. I can't imagine replacing senior management at my job with someone right out of school.

Suz

rohvannyn replied to SoCalSuz's response:
Age isn't the issue. Being in touch with the realities of your target demographic is. In the example of someone being a manager in a social media company, they could be any age but they must understand enough about the people they are serving that they make relevant decisions about the company. A deep understanding of the job is far more important than any arbitrary age barrier.

brunosbud responded:
Best advice for Ms. Sloane? Post just her picture on her resume and she'll get hired...Guaranteed.

katurnbow responded:
No. I am in the staffing and recruiting industry and contrary to what many think currently there is a lot of opportuity for the older generation because of experience. Many companies are looking for the experience and the skill set. What many are now realizing that this is priceless.

One thing that the older generation need to do is understand the skill sets that are needed for the job and then dedicate and develop your conversations and interactions accordingly. You may end up with a pay cut but once you are in the door your experience will shine and you will be calling your shots sooner than later.

brunosbud replied to katurnbow's response:
good advice. Thank you

3point14 responded:
I agree with the article.

And am 24, go figure.

butterflygarden responded:
The young lady who wrote this blog post has a lot to learn about the business world. And, just because someone is older than 25 doesn't mean they don't use and embrace social media. In fact, my understanding is that Twitter was first populated by a demographic of folks over 30. The kids didn't embrace tweeting until much later.

Your ability to do any job is based on what the job requires. If you've become stuck in a rut and out of touch with what's new, then you probably won't make a very good social media manager. Just like if you're wearing a back brace you wouldn't be able to work in a warehouse heaving heavy boxes around.

My sister-in-law just turned 50 this year, and she is a pilates instructor. She's in better shape than most 25-year-olds that I know. And, she has been working in the fitness field for many years. Would I rather take her class than that of a younger person who didn't have as much experience? You betcha!

Butterfly

bpcookie responded:
yup, there are some jobs for only the young. My daughter is a Kilt Girl. She works as a waitress at the tilted kilt. You must be young and beautiful to work there. They actually make you try on the uniform first, before they will hire you.

WebMD Talk Show

Feel like a friendly debate? Take the gloves off and defend your viewpoint.

Learn More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Expert Blog

Diagnosis: Reality Check

Putting perspective on health news and names in the spotlight.Read More