Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How Much Do You Share Online?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Recently, a scorned woman announced her husband's infidelity on a "For Sale" sign in her front yard. In the past, the story might have stayed local. However, it blew up across the internet and landed the ex-wife and mother of two on ABC's The View.

With the dawn of the internet and social media, "oversharing" is a much discussed topic.

How much do you share on Facebook, Twitter or elsewhere online? What personal topics do you consider off limits on the internet?

Haylen

brunosbud responded:
The Amazing Carnak predicts: Children will become future stars of "Jersey Shore".

You think this is the "darkest hours" of your life, so far? Just wait. You will rue the day...

rohvannyn responded:
Good question. There are times when I need to talk about something personal online, such as in the context of an online support group, but in general I don't talk about anything really private on the web because I know that it's pretty public. I've found things I posted on message boards from several years ago, just floating around in search engines. The other day I found an archive featuring something I'd posted nearly twelve years ago!

Things I do share: inconsequential happenings that my friends or family would care about, tips or advice to help others, blogs involving experiences that might be edifying to others, rants about things I feel strongly about.

Things I do not share: full name or tracking information such as phone number or mailing address, clear photos of my face, personal details that could be embarrassing to me or my loved ones, anything that could bite me in later years. I will be more open if the site is member only or has a friends only filtering option. This is really more for safety than anything, and because I believe privacy is not dead.

doxielover10 responded:
If I'm involved in a transaction, I'm polite and sometimes a person will ask a safe question and I will answer.

If it's a message board, I'm cautious. I do not divulge where I live, phone numbers, occupation, family questions, marital questions. I told Dr. Farrell about a woman on here sending me constant questions for advice, what meds I took and could I give her some and finally could she come to my house. I just told her I was ill, which was true. She kept calling, so I blocked her.

Sometimes these type of people appear very friendly and helpful and they are very dangerous. I always tell people to trust their gut.

3point14 responded:
I'm comfortable sharing any and everything online that I'd share in person. It doesn't make me uncomfortable, and I'm a typically somewhat open book kind of person, so I have no fear of anyone "discovering" something I wouldn't tell them in person anyway.

The only exception is anything related to sex on FB. My family's on there!

Demons2011 responded:
Regarding Social Media, I have very little public information or private information on line. On forums I stick with my sign-on, minimal personal information. I also have nothing-anywhere that would be embarrassing to me publicly or privately. To do so is fairly foolish. Could lead to a job offer being rescinded. All kinds of negative possibilities.

bpcookie responded:
I dont have Facebook, twitter or Myspace, or anything like that. But on the Bipolar board Im pretty much an open book. I share almost everything.

Whats off limits is using my real name.

WebMD Talk Show

Feel like a friendly debate? Take the gloves off and defend your viewpoint.

Learn More