Is Good Grammar Important in the Workplace?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
An article published in the Harvard Business Review brought up an important topic, especially in these times when so many are competing for so few jobs.

I Won't Hire People Who Use Poor Grammar. Here's Why.

Some say that schools now undervalue grammar, leading to qualified graduates without strong grammar skills. Others point out that there are many jobs that don't require the use of good grammar. Those who believe bad grammar is a deal breaker say that it's more than a set of rules but a sign that a job applicant has the ability to convey ideas and thoughts clearly.

Are employers missing out on qualified candidates if they toss a cover letter or resume with poor grammar?

Haylen
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Anon_130687 responded:
I wouldn't hire a person with a grammar issue or a typo in a cover letter or resume. I wouldn't even interview them.

Even if they don't have the sharpest writing skills, a person seriously looking for employment should use more than one friend, family member or teacher as proofreader. (highlighting problem solving skills!)

Sincerely,

Grammar Stickler

Anon_320 responded:
Employees represent the companies they work for, and a person who has problems with grammar is not a good representative. Whether or not it's actually the case, a person who doesn't have a good grasp of grammar looks less intelligent than someone who does. I think that good grammar is vital in a workplace.

Polfsky responded:
If the nature of work requires effective and accurate communication, I'll say yes to the question.

However, it would be unfair to judge a person who speaks English as a second language based on his/her grammar. Yes, candidates should make it a priority to make sure their resumes and cover letters are flawless, but how about during job interviews where candidates will not be able to get their answers edited?

I have many coworkers who are strong and excellent computer programmers and able to express themselves sufficiently through their unpolished English.

deadmanwalking57 responded:
Lack of good English grammar can indicate:

In a native English speaker,
- lack of good work habits
- low self-esteem, such that the person does not care how he represents himself or appears to others.
- limited capabilities

In a foreign born person:
- possibly some of the same things, or not.

My experience is that the more capable foreign born speakers of English will write better than they speak, since there is more time to think and review.

The best educated foreign born persons will have excellent language skills. Their spoken English will match the way they write. As stated previously, with some employees, the language abilities can be weak if the other job skills are excellent.

3point14 responded:
Hilariously, in the link to this debate on other forums, grammar is spelled "g-r-a-m-m-e-r".

Nice job.

3point14 replied to 3point14's response:
O, now you guys caught it!

Grammar is very important to me, but I suuuuppose I'll keep using webmd. hehehe

brunosbud responded:
So, you've surrounded yourself in "sticklers", have you. Well, what happens when you change your mind? What happens if you child is not a "stickler"?

I prefer Job's approach to product planning, "We shall not be suppressing any point-of-views at this time..."

PS: Srinivasa Ramanujan, the actual Good Will Hunting and Gregor Mendel, the self educated, beekeeping monk recognized as the father of modern genetics. Both, would be shown the door @ fixit.

maxx5358 responded:
good grammer is a must in all spectrums

bob249 responded:
Depends on the workplace.

Being 63 YO, I've worked directly with many and interacted in other workplaces.

In professional environments, correct usage and expression lends confidence in the ability of a business to perform.

I've interacted with automobile mechanics over the years. So long as they could communicate what was needed for the service and how much it was going to cost, it didn't matter to me whether their grammar was correct.
Not intended to single out mechanics, their vocation came to mind.

It may be a good choice as mechanics often interact directly with people of all education levels...

pj2212 replied to 3point14's response:
Thank you 3point14! My mom would've appreciated your note and so do I.

aubaen responded:
Poor grammar is a disgrace. You attend post secondary school to achieve a more well rounded education. The use of improper grammar shows someone, especially a future employer, that your education is incomplete. Those so called jobs that do not require proper grammar usually ask, "Would you like fries with that?" Using proper grammar shows an employer that you took the time and dedication to educate yourself and prepare you for the professional world. Correct grammar proves your an educated individual. I still to this day am asking if "ain't" is a word and is spelled with an apostrophe t, what is it's conjunction?

Anon_35 replied to aubaen's response:
aubaen,
Reading your sentence: "Correct grammar proves your an educated individual." proves that the contraction of "you are" is still missed by even the well-intentioned.

Regards,
a

mab620 responded:
I would overlook a typo, but never bad grammar.

butterflygarden responded:
I think it depends on the job. I am a writer, and I've hired writers. I'd never hire a writer who had incorrect grammar or misspelled words in his or her resume. It's sloppy, and tells me a lot about the person.

However, I'd rather my accountant be good with numbers and my plumber be GREAT at plumbing. I could care less if they punctuate a sentence correctly or use YOUR instead of YOU'RE.

What truly annoys me is people using "text speak" in their everyday writing. I wonder if some of these kids know the difference?

Final word: No one is perfect. Even people who make their living with the written word screw up now and then.

Butterfly