Skip to content
World Gratitude Day
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Something positive for today. Let's remember even the little things that bring us joy.

What are you grateful for?

How do you express gratitude to others?

** Here is some information on from our Health and Balance Center on Practicing Gratitude that I hope will be helpful to everyone here in your daily lives.

fcl responded:
I am grateful for so many things that I hardly know where to start - for being happy, for having a great family, for doing a job I enjoy, for living in a place I love... I have much to be grateful for.

How do I express gratitude? By saying"thank you" and meaning it. Any time someone does anything for me, no matter how insignificant it may seem, I say thank you. I like people to know that I appreciate them and what they do.

SoCalSuz responded:
I'm "old school" when showing gratitude. Mom's handwritten thank-you note's were frequently mentioned to me by her friends after she passed away.

I'm on my way out the door to pop one in my neighbor's mailbox. She shared tomatoes from her garden with us last weekend.

Perhaps I'm "old fashioned" but it I think the gratitude I try to express to friends and family with a handwritten note instead of an email or Facebook post is appreciated.

Especially since everyone knows I can't spell, have terrible handwriting and think typing was the best thing ever invented.

Suz

3point14 responded:
I'm grateful for my significant other, especially today. I had a really embarassing panic attack last night, and he helped me through it with patience, love and kindness.

I'm grateful for my family, and my friends. I'm grateful for my cat. I'm grateful to have a cute apartment and a car that runs well. I'm grateful for my education and my career.

I express gratitude through my words and actions, it's in everything I do. I tell people when I appreciate them, send cards, post stuff on Facebook, and give huge hugs when applicable. I never want to forget my blessings in life, so I try to humble myself in front of it and express gratitiude to the Universe as frequently as possible.

JDOSCH responded:
I am who I am because of my loving children, Ava and Aiden plus my devoted husband, Todd. Family is key to happiness!

JDOSCH replied to JDOSCH's response:
Ways of showing it are always saying thank you and please plus rewards...... I like to praise my kids and hubby when they please me. Its not hard to do but encouraging words are important.

bpcookie responded:
I have so many things to be grateful for and I know I will leave some of it out on accident. I am grateful that I have two wonderful parents. My mother is very caring and my father always makes me laugh, even if Im feeling down.

I am VERY grateful for my husband. Being married to a Bipolar who wasn't stable for many years wasnt easy for him. Even now that Im stable, I still have way too many health issues and some are very debilitating and he comforts me and takes care of me.

I am grateful that I have a dog that makes me laugh every day.

Grateful to have a loving and beautiful daughter.

Im grateful to be alive. There were many times in my past that I could have passed away.

Im grateful for WebMD. I have found so many dear and loyal friends whom I love. They never let me down.

I express my gratitude towards others by treating them with kindness . My friends here at WebMD I send cards to them and sometimes small gifts.

I thank my husband when he does the chores that I am unable to do. I also show my gratitude to my husband in other way......but cant say exactly how in this post.

Olivia, what a wonderful idea for a post.

bpcookie replied to 3point14's response:
3point, You look familiar, have you been on the Bipolar board before? anyways, you seem to have a kind heart and I like the way you express your gratitude.

dfromspencer responded:
The one thing i am most greatful for, is having had, and knowing the very best friend i ever had! He's dying of cancer, there is not much time left. Freaquently, i tell him, what a wonderful, true friend you have been to me. I never knew what a true friend was till i met Joe. He has shown me that being a friend means, being there for you, no matter what. Helping when i needed it most, be it financial, or just talking,and keeping company. If you tell someone you will do something, you do it. That is my best friend, Joe!

How do i express my gratitude to him? By being the best friend i can be, to him. I tell him all the time that he is the best, true friend i have ever had. He likes to hear that. I hope i am there for him, at his ending?

Stay well, all, Dennis

Jeune1 responded:
My friends, books & beer.

3point14 replied to bpcookie's response:
Yes madam, I posted there during the process of my being diagnosed with what eventually turned out to be Bipolar/depression/anxiety. Really nice group of people there, you're such a rock for the people who need help.

Now that I'm used to the idea of having a label for my former crap behavior and now that I'm comfortable with being on medication, I can pretty much deal with it most of the time. I also feel like I wouldn't have much to offer the people needing help on that board, honestly, because I'm so new to it all. Seeing a therapist is still kinda trippy for me, honestly hahaha.

Thanks for your kind words.

bubbles_bobble replied to 3point14's response:
guess i'm thankful for all of you who posted before me because i needed a wake up call. i really do practice gratitude a lot but not enough.
i have a friend who wrote me a card this afternoon and popped it in my mail carrier and i gotta say that i have found a true friend and she is 72. she lives 2 doors down and i am ever so grateful to her and ms. g. tp and L as well as la and mitmo and last but not least G. I guess i would leave a hole if i left. hard to understand even tho my sis left one in mine.
i'm grateful for the wonderful cooler weather we are having and it feels so good even tho i still have to use a/c.
thank you to webmd for the contributions they make to all communities they service all over the world. to all the support i have rec'd thru out the years thank you! to the moderators you are awesome women! and the docs! yolu're great too!
i'm loosing my pdoc and she was so geniune in how she cared about me. but she won't be carin about me no more. las t appt tues so i have to be greatful fo rthe time she shared of my life
and for s who at one time had been my t. so many wonderful people have passed through my life and i'm so thankful and greatful for it all. as for the not so great well those are Gods stepping stones to learn about yourself and how you will choose the next option i suppose?!

God speed and I hope some day i quit freaking out.

monamia responded:
I love reading all the responses here. I truly believe that being grateful for all things - big and small - in our lives, acknowledging it, expressing it, is the key to happiness.

I'm grateful for the sunny days, for hiking out in the wild with loved ones, for my amazing sons, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. For my Kindle and DVR and the internet. For great co-workers and for having a roof over my head.

And so much more.

I try to regularly express my appreciation for others in my life with the spoken and written word and by giving them my time and support.

butterflygarden responded:
I am grateful for my health and for my wonderful husband and 3 awesome kids.

I am grateful for my mother, who had the patience to put up with me all those years and instill the values I live by. I am grateful for my dad, who I lost recently. He had his issues, but he passed along many good things to me, including a good work ethic.

I am grateful for my brother and my sisters. As much as we fought growing up, we get along great as adults.

I show my gratitude through my daily words and deeds. I try to do little things to show my family that I love and appreciate them. I think that's important.

Butterfly

bpcookie replied to 3point14's response:
3Point, ya know, On the Bipolar board, all you need to do is be yourself. You don't have to know the ins and outs of Bipolar, just be a comfort to those who need a kind word.

WebMD Talk Show

Feel like a friendly debate? Take the gloves off and defend your viewpoint.

Learn More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Expert Blog

Diagnosis: Reality Check

Putting perspective on health news and names in the spotlight.Read More