Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pre-employment Medical Tests: Is 100% honesty required?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Some employers use pre-employment medical tests as part of their selection process.

A member of the Diabetes Community asked if he should exclude information about his diabetes and cholesterol lowering medication during his exam.

How about you? Would you fudge health information if you were afraid it might cost you a job opportunity?

Haylen

3point14 responded:
I'd never start a new chapter in my life with lies. Any lie, great or tiny, can come back to haunt you and I couldn't take that kind of anxiety, worrying if I'd be found out.

Anon_52329 responded:
NO! There is a saying "it is what it is.(Period)" When I worked for a big company many decades ago I "informed." the HR Department of my epilepsy.
For years there was never a issue about it "even when I had a so called " short seizure. (5 TO 10 SECONDS LONG ) LIFE GOES ON!!
"If they have issues with it then it not the type of company you want to work for".
They get a tax write off and a valuable employee. I t is a win / win for both sides.
Gary Z

letsfindacure4it replied to 3point14's response:
U are SOOOO right.
Was fired by Verizon Telecom while working in Manhattan New York as a contractor?? Had a mild seizure and the bums CALLED the contractor on me and I was let go!! That just pure "EVIL".I had no "say in having a seizure condition.

Short story : Company SEE U as a "walking lawsuit." Out of site Out of mind!!! Is it wrong , U Better believe it .NO ONE IS PERFECT!!! And if U buy into it , Watch Out.(Watch ur back.)

letsfindacure4it responded:
There are SO many people out there THAT WANT TO DO THE RIGHT THING and so many more people with Worst conditions then he's.
He should thank GOD that he is not blind or has MS ETC..

Understand he's concern thought. From a companies outlook they are looking at HIGHER medication cost or Higher Insurance
cost.
Is it wrong ?? U BEAT IT IS. If the company is trading on the N.Y.S. Exchange "they have to please the share holders".
Gary Z

butterflygarden responded:
I seem to be hearing about more companies doing these health exams as part of the hiring process.

I keep wondering how that is legal? Very odd.

I definitely wouldn't lie, but a well-controlled condition shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether someone is qualified for a job. It seems like just a way of weeding out people who might increase the company's health care costs.

Perhaps I just wouldn't want to work for a company like that, but the economy makes it hard for us to be choosy, doesn't it?

Will health care reform protect us from stuff like this or just make it worse with all the other parameters set on businesses, especially smaller ones? I have yet to find the answer.

Butterfly

An_248103 replied to butterflygarden's response:
1. It is illegal to discriminate against someone due to Diabetes. It's the ADA Act. Unfortunately when it comes to a new job, it is hard to prove why they did not hire you.
2. Most companies do not send you for the pre-employment physical until they know they want to hire you.
3. Lying or omitting information can give the company a valid reason to terminate you later on.
4. Remember that everything you write on pre-employment physicals goes to the Recruiter. Including medicines, conditions, etc. (Not sure why this doesn't violate HIPAA laws??) However, they are also testing you for drugs, which include prescription medications. Omitting this information can cause you to fail a drug test.
5. It is best to be honest with these situations. If you are offered a job, then declined, ask for a reason. If you feel you were not hired due to this condition, you can contact ADA.

Note, if you are applying for a job with DOT requirements, etc. and the physical shows that you are NOT controlling your condition, you can be denied a job. This is because it is unsafe to drive with uncontrolled diabetes, not because of discrimination.

cynthia responded:
having done a great deal of interviewing and hiring over the years - yes honesty is the best policy BUT i would mention if ASKED and, if true, say it is under control and there will not be a work issue related to health conditions. However, if it will impact your work, you need to tell them..under the ADA they could not say they are not hiring you because of your conditions, but there are usually ways employers can get around it - that they found someone with more suitable skills, more experience - which is hard to dispute.

i personally feel very uneasy when someone has not been truthful and it sets the stage for a potentially tense work relationship.

An_248107 responded:
I am quite shocked that a pre-hiring medical exam is even allowed as part of any company's hiring policy. Is this not completely illegal and a violation of human rights and an act of discrimination to try to hire or not hire someone based on how they do on a physical?

Has anyone asked their government representative about such hiring policies? This seems like a serious erosion of personal rights. Scary.

jag217 responded:
No, your health history can be used to discriminate against you.
Your health history is not the business of potential employers.
In many cases it is illegal to ask health questions.

Jeune1 responded:
I tell you the first thing I'd do: Make bloody sure the potential employer had an air-tight confidentiality agreement.

GeminiBrat responded:
I wouldn't fudge the information, it would be very tempting because it would be dishonest and that's not who I am or the way that I conduct myself. While a company can't discriminate, they can say that it would cause them undue hardship to make the accomadations necessary for you to work for their company and they are within their legal right to say that and its not a voilation of the ADA. I've been down that road already, not only do I have diabetes but I have also been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease which makes it difficult for employment beause I'm automatically looked at as a liability. And I have gotten as far as getting a hire date.

GeminiBrat replied to 3point14's response:
I would tell them the truth answering the questions that were asked. You never want to start off on the wrong foot. While the company can't discriminate, they can say that it would be an undue hardship for them to accommadate your needs. That goes for diabetes and any other issues that may be considered a disability. I have already been down this road and have gotten as far as getting a hire date, the last thing was the drug screening and health questions. At that time, my diabetes was under control but I had also had a stroke.

With today's economy I definitely would fall under the reasonable accomodations or the not a job match column because I have recently been diagnosed with an Autoimmune disease and on oxygen.

WebMD Talk Show

Feel like a friendly debate? Take the gloves off and defend your viewpoint.

Learn More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Expert Blog

Diagnosis: Reality Check

Putting perspective on health news and names in the spotlight.Read More