Bagel Head and Other Weird Beauty Trends
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Do some people carry weird body-altering beauty trends too far?

Take a look at this latest craze in Japan -- Bagel Heads .

What are some of the weirdest attempts at "beauty" you've seen over the years?

Have you actually ever taken part in a trend that you now look back on and wonder what you were thinking?

Olivia

SoCalSuz responded:
That is so strange!

It's school photo time here so I pulled out mine to show my kids. I've worn glasses since 2nd grade and it looks like I jumped on a "fashion trend" in the 70s with my initials in gold stickers on the left lens. I can remember being so excited to stick the letters on but it looks crazy, especially in combination with the huge frames.

Haylen

brunosbud responded:
In high school, I once wore my underwear backwards for a month. It was suppose to...uh, never mind...

butterflygarden responded:
Okay, I am usually a pretty laid-back person when it comes to this kind of thing. I would never get a tattoo, but it doesn't bother me when other people get them. Some are quite beautiful.

But, this is just stupid. What in the world is beautiful about a giant bagel-shaped blob in the middle of your forehead?

IMO, these are people who need to find something constructive to do with their lives.

The weirdest attempt at beauty I have ever seen has to be those giant ear inserts. I can't remember what you call them. But, when you take them out your earlobe just droops and hangs. Again, I would never do it, but have no problem with folks who do.

The worst trend I ever took part in was the leg warmer phase back in the 80s. I look back on that and just cringe. LOL

And, like SoCalSuz...the big owl-eyed glasses were just so wrong. What were we thinking covering up our entire faces with those things?

Butterfly

Lefty2121 responded:
Oh do I have a list for you all...
1. Mc Hammer Pants
2. Teased up hair almost using a can of Aqua Net hair spray!
3. Drawing in your Eyebrows have seem some women even using a Black Sharpe lol!
4.Kris Kross day wearing your pants backwards!
5.High water pants
6.Bell bottom pants
7.Sagging pants which I understand started in jail that was one of the ways prisoners would let other prisoners know they were willing and available for companionship!

Jeune1 responded:
First I want to remind all of my fellow women that the person who said "Il faut souffrir pour etre belle" (It is necessary to suffer to be beautiful) was a MAN.

Any beauty trend that involves medical or quasi-medical procedures goes too far. Don't people realize how many things can go horribly wrong when you let someone cut you or inject you? And that doesn't even cover the risks of general anesthetic for more invasive procedures.

I've never seen this but the second weirdest thing I've heard of was right here on WebMD. Women getting their little toes amputated so they can wear narrow toed shoes. (What kind of doctor agrees to do that?) The weirdest - The Victorian era practice of having one's floating ribs removed to narrow the waist. I don't count foot binding because that was inflicted upon women, they didn't say "Hey, smash my feet up and then tie them until they wither away!"

And then there are the people who PAID to have construction-grade silicone injected into their butts by a woman who had no medical training. (They didn't know it was construction grade, but I think the fact they were done by a random stranger in a hotel room should have been a hint.)

Sorry to ramble on, I know it is a matter of personal choice but ... some personal choices are pretty dumb.

brunosbud replied to Jeune1's response:
i'd like to remind my fellow men that the first person who said,
"Don't forget à take out the trash." was a WOMAN...

and she said it again 15 minutes, later!!!!!!!!! Sacrebleu!

butterflygarden replied to brunosbud's response:
And, the woman finally gets frustrated and takes the trash out herself...fuming.

Meanwhile, the man is high-fiving his buddies because he won the waiting contest.

We women just aren't very good at waiting it out when it comes to household chores.