Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Was TV Anchorwoman Bullied?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Jennifer Livingston, a TV anchor in La Crosse, Wis., checked her email a couple of weeks ago expecting the usual comments from viewers. Instead, she received a critique of her weight and an accusation that her appearance made her a poor role model for young people in the community.

Livingston felt bullied by the letter and responded on camera to the viewer.

See her response in this Video .

And tell us...do you think Livingston was bullied?

butterflygarden responded:
Saw this on the WebMD Facebook page last week, but I don't like to chime in there.

My opinion may be unpopular, but I don't agree that she was bullied. If the guy had sent her numerous emails about her weight, or taken the topic public himself, then yes. But, he didn't.

Was he rude? Yes. It's none of his business how much she weighs. If her employer is happy with her, that's all that counts.

It seems to me we're really obsessed with what others weigh these days. This woman, and all who are overweight, have their own personal battles to fight. As she points out in her response...she already knows she is overweight. It wasn't an "AHA" moment for her.

Butterfly

SweetSusieB responded:
She was bullied, and she made it public.

I can't help but think, the guy that wrote in to her, didn't realize this anchor would take this to TV. I'm glad she called him out on this.

I'm confused and sadden to think that he couldn't see her as a role model because of her weight.
What does her weight have to do with what kinds of person she is?

I don't know this woman, I don't know if she's a good person.
But I do know being a good person, doing good things in life, helping your community, raising good children, does makes for a good role model. Since when did weight decide what kind of person you are? Maybe it always has, very sad.

Jeune1 replied to butterflygarden's response:
Add me to the unpopular column, for the reasons you stated.

I also find it impossible to believe that she is the first anchor at this station to get a nastygram from a crank. It's sad but true: being a public figure means you're going to attract some loons.

timvasi responded:
In my opinion while the comments emailed may have been inappropriate... this can hardly be considered bullying or anything even close to it. TV News people live for ratings and will do pretty much anything to gain them and draw attention to themselves.

That is clearly demonstrated by the fact they posted the email to draw attention to themselves. If the person emailing her had posted his comments publicly that might have been a different circumstance.

This news story is all about ratings, attention, and 15 minutes in the spotlight. A responsible news team would have ignored the email and moved on with the business of reporting real news, not manufacturing their own.

SoCalSuz responded:
WOW - What a story! I thought her response and views on bullying were just fantastic. I had to know more so I googled to find out information about the author of the email: From an ABC story on 10/5

Krause, identified as the writer responded with the following statement to the station: "Given this country's present epidemic of obesity and the many truly horrible diseases related thereto, and considering Jennifer Livingston's fortuitous position in the community, I hope she will finally take advantage of a rare and golden opportunity to influence the health and psychological well-being of Coulee Region children by transforming herself for all of her viewers to see over the next year, and, to that end, I would be absolutely pleased to offer Jennifer any advice or support she would be willing to accept."

This guy really doesn't strike me as a "bully" and I truly don't think he thought his email through before he hit "send".

His suggestion that she take to the air to become healthy and set an example for her viewers is actually very creative. Might garner her another Emmy if done right!

However, when Oprah pulled a wagon full of fat (representing 70 or so pounds she had lost) onto the stage, it ended up backfiring and making her weight a lifelong topic.

Suz

Debsbears responded:
My take on this:

1 letter / email doesn't make it bullying. Yes it was rude and inappropriate but definitely not bullying.

I do think the anchor woman took it too far by putting it on TV. Come on really go public and attack the sender of the email to me that was a form of bullying. Why not just email the sender back instead of making it public.

I feel the anchor woman was more in the wrong than the emailer. Just my opinion.

worn1 responded:
I do not think he bullied her. He stated a simple fact. Let me add one more item.If she dresses like her picture here. Her wardrobe need improving. Just because you are over weight does not mean you cannot take pride in the way you dress. I am over weight and take pride in the way I dress. Instead of getting comments about my weight I receive compliments.
I know the majority will not agree with me. So be it. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Fynness replied to worn1's response:
I saw this posted on FB a week ago. Bullying.. No. She received an e-mail and choose to address the weight issue via publicly (ratings or attention?) Unless the person has sent her e-mail everyday harassing her about her weight, this is not considered bullying.

As I do not know of this woman's health issues (maybe there are medical reasons she is obese) it's none of my business nor that of anyone else for that matter. However, she has chosen a field where she is a television persona, get tough or roll with it. I am sure there are crack pots and psycho's that send mail and stalk reporters, personalities and public figures. Her response to the e-mail was uncalled for and seems to me to be a publicity stunt

jis4judy responded:
Hi I think I see this totally different from everyone else .I think the sender of the email was hopeing to get noticed to improve his personal trainer business free advertiseing .
Hugs Judy:)

meat2323 responded:
I believe she bullied herself because insted of just keeping the email to herself or replying to him on her on time threw email, she insted blasted it all over national tv, so she brought it on herself by putting it out in the open, but do I think he was wrong for sending that messege and saying it the way he did, yes.

amcate responded:
The person who wrote the email has a point-public figures are a role model, and it is helpful to have role models showing good behavior (like Michelle Obama). However, the problem with the email is that it assumes a lot of things-sometimes people are obese due to side effects of medicines. How would the person who wrote the email know if she has lupus or some type of autoimmune issue and takes prednisone everyday? A side effect of prednisone is weight gain. In that case, his email would be highly destructive because she would be dealing with an illness and having to respond to ignorance. It was therefore an insensitive email. I'm not sure how many she gets about her weight, but one email I don't think goes to the level of bullying even though it's not kind.

ybmagpye responded:
Well, I'm obese, and I don't think she was bullied. She just didn't take a comment from a viewer very well. She used that email to go off on bullies. It's like someone commenting to me I ought to walk my dog more often, and I go ballistic accusing the commenter on skinning cats alive. I agree with her comments, but I don't think the letter writer was out of line at all, he/she just expressed an opinion.

Nacus2664 responded:
nowadays it doesn't take much to be consider being bullied, I don't think she was bullied or harassed, I think if this person would be sending her several emails a day and be personally harassed then yes.Who cares what she ways, but I don't want to be mean myself a 15 lbs less would be healthier. You don't have to be stick skinny to be health stick skinny is not considered healthy either though. It is my opinion I hope I didn't offend anyone

WebMD Talk Show

Feel like a friendly debate? Take the gloves off and defend your viewpoint.

Learn More