Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What noises bother you most?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
WebMD editorial staff just published this interesting story about The 10 Most Annoying Sounds and Why They Bother Us .

First, tell us which noises or sounds get on your nerves and why.

Then, check and see if yours are on the list!

Olivia

bubbles_bobble responded:
doors slamming
cars back firing
fireworks
loud car mufflers going down the street

TheSullenGirl responded:
Ones not listed

People scratching their nails on fabric (like jeans or leather) - it makes my skin crawl.

Styrofoam being rubbed together or scratching against something like cardboard - another skin crawl.

Nail flicking - that tick noise drive me bonkers sometimes.

MandyCake responded:
Anything loud, doesn't matter what it is....

People fighting

Children screaming and crying

Some people's eating habits, noisely, with mouth open, slurping, etc... (shivers)

Anxiety_Really responded:
Loud noises of any kind. High whiny voices or certain tenors of male voices. Utensils on dishes. Background noise on tv sports.

lifes responded:
The Study focused mostly on noises with glass!

What about paper (bags, tissue paper, etc.); plastic bags (or any crinkly plastic); common household appliances (computer printers, blenders, mixers), common ticking or clicking noises (wind-up type clocks, furnace as it heats, fingernails on computer keyboard, a turn signal in a vehicle),... etc.

Many people with ear problems, allergies (which also affect the ears), dementia, or chronic pain can't stand noises in the lower ranges. For example, a low voice (bass, alto range) from a person mumbling in the next room--where you can't hear the words, just the low sound of a voice. Water or natural gas as it moves through a household pipe is also 'too irritating'.

Many survivors of childhood abuses cannot stand any abrupt noises, noises that start and start rapidly without warning, or that 'come and go' unexpectedly, or voices in the same range as an abuser.

And, there is a population of people who are known as "sensitive" or overly sensitive to almost any noises, but again, mostly lower range or abrupt noises.

It sounds like the researchers picked the "biggest loudest" noises, rather than the most routine and mundane noises most people encounter every day!

Lifesnadir

doxielover10 responded:
As a serious bipolar and also having PTSD I cannot stand

screaming kids
loud heavy metal music
any kind of screeching
heavy things dropping to the floor

worn1 responded:
radio feed back
radios at work

Ladydiablo1976 responded:
Repetitive noises that repeat like pencil taps on a desk, someone making noises in a waiting room or class room like that, and the second worst is uncontrolled children allowed to scream a high pitched yell in resturants and cafe's......PA-LEASE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

bpcookie responded:
A screaming child. It seems that every time I go shopping there will be some child making this high pitch scream.

Car alarm. Not sure why that bothers me

My ex-husbands voice. He has this I-don't-give-a-crap-about-anything attitude. (I'm sure thats not on that list lol)

bpcookie replied to bubbles_bobble's response:
Bubbles, the loud car mufflers drive me crazy too. Also the sound of a loud motorcycle. uugghh

bpcookie replied to MandyCake's response:
slurping, aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, that is sssooo annoying

ddnos responded:
I could narrow it down to ANY loud and/or loud and sudden noise. They terrify me and make me angry as result of the fear and usually react in various, self harming ways

LOUD vehichles
loud and unruly children
the most quiet creeks in the wall that sound LOUD to me
Scratching on a chalkboard

melissa1234 responded:
whiny voices, complete silence, dry leaves, tinny noises

HighnLoLita responded:
A unexpected knock at the door, especially when they knock really loud. A welcome mat deffinately doesn't belong in front of my door. It causes my heart to beat really fast. I believe this is due to a childhood experience when some bad men broke in my door with guns and threaten to kill my mom and step dad.

Also when I get stressed or angry I hear this whaw whaw in my head and ringing in my ears. Or when I actually hear my spinal column. Sounds like a crick crick bone on bone noise.

Lita

WebMD Talk Show

Feel like a friendly debate? Take the gloves off and defend your viewpoint.

Learn More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Expert Blog

Diagnosis: Reality Check

Putting perspective on health news and names in the spotlight.Read More