Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Post Op Depression
JustRobin posted:
I am exactly one month out from a left total hip replacement. I am finally doing better with the pain and walking pretty well, using a cane for stability outside. But I am unhappy, crabby, angry, weepy, unable to sleep, have no appetite and am snapping the heads off of anyone who looks at me wrong. I suffered from severe depression a few years ago when I had a bad scare from an acute case of erosive esophagitis. I had somehow convinced myself that I had either cancer or gastroparesis and nothing anyone could say could get through to me. I spent most of my time in bed. The doctor took me off the Reglan and I immediately improved but he also wanted to put me on Prozac which I didn't feel I needed. So, a few weeks before surgery, I weaned myself off the Prozac and other drugs I felt were not necessary. I was FINE...until after the surgery, the pt the home nurse visits, the "don't move that way" the "keep that pillow between your knees" and no chair in the house I could sit in comfortably. I want to understand why, now that I am off the heavy pain meds, almost finished with the blood thinners and walking well, I still am so mad at the world. I am 68. I feel I should know better. I also should mention that I am very fatigued and someone suggested I might be anemic. The medical doctors supplied by the hospital in lieu of my own PCP were less than satisfactory. I just wonder if they knew I was anemic but felt it needed no treatment. I hate being this tired all the time.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.