Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Why does depression come and go? Some days are good/some awful!
Anon_963 posted:
You think you have things under control with this condition that either is due to emotional or physical reasons--or both--and wham, you have a day or days you think--you want to 'escape', run, cry (the crying does help) but then it's back again. Alot of praying and as someone with deep faith is what helps the most.
But--reading so many posts it sure makes one wonder what is causing it to come and go--and most often, un-expectantly.
Anyway, from research, it does do that and sometimes we have to take life one day at a time--instead of worrying about tomorrow and yesterday so much! Easier said than done--
I'm still waiting for an answer on my post awhile back regarding anti-depressants, dreams, intrusive thoughts, etc. No one else deals with these I guess.

rohvannyn responded:
Plenty of people have to deal with antidepressants, dreams, intrusive thoughts, and periodic depression. Many people don't feel qualified to answer. I wish more would.

Your question is a good one. Speaking for myself, many times when I have a period of severe depression I will find a hidden cause. For example, I noticed recently that it is worse when I eat grain, most specifically wheat gluten - though other grains have some effect as well. Some are affected by artificial sweetners, others by cloudy days, others by lack of exercise, and on and on. I know I have problems that are worse than usual when I have interrupted or inadequate sleep. Even if the depression is a chemical imbalence, I've found that ofthen there are many factors that contribute. I believe it's up to everyone to find out what their own sensitivities are so they can manage them or avoid them.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

What has helped me with my depression
I have always struggled with depression. After trying meds and therapy I have to say that I have finally found something that helps. This ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.