Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

My sister has ETC
An_252927 posted:
I haven't seen my sister for a year and a half. She started undergoing ETC about a year ago. My brother-in-law has said she's "better". Talking to her on the phone is strained. There's no real conversation. It's yeah. yeah. yeah. Very flat responses and no real conversations. To give you some history.....My sister suffers from severe depression and has for probably the past 15 years. She went undiagnosed for about 10 years. Then they came up with she's bi polar with psychotic episodes. At one point she didn't eat for 4 days and my bro in law found her on the floor. She thought the coyotes were coming after her and they could smell the blood from her period. She lives in CA and I live in IL so I didn't see her often. I tried to get her to do ETC years ago when all the cocktail meds the Dr's were giving her didn't work. I know she's taken mood stablizers and other sleep meds but she's "different". My sister used to be happy. Now she's a highly medicated deer in headlights. I just want my sister back. Sadly I don't think she will ever be the same. Her memory loss is severe. She didn't remember coming to Chicago a year a half ago to see our Dad and her nephew. It's not just short term memory loss it's a lot of memory loss. She goes weekly for treatments now. She was going every 2 weeks. How much longer is she going to have to go!!!

deasertrose responded:
I had Ect in 2004. I don't remember a year to year and a half around the time I had it. I did okay for awhile. Then around 4 years ago things started to go down hill. I don't enjoy anything any more. I have nothing to say to anyone. I can't have a conversation. I'm also flat. I cant remember anything from any day. I don't even remember my daughters growing up years. I am on too many meds. I can't even remember if I'm filling my pill box up right. Yes I have a list. I wanted to do deep brain stimulation. They wouldn't except me for the trail. Now there is trans cranial maggenetic stimulation but insurance won't cover it. I want to get off all these meds. The only thing left is Ect. But I'm really scared. I don't want to disappear any more than i already am. All I'm thinking about is killing myself. I don't know what to do. If I have Ect then I'll have to quit my job and if I can get it back I'll have to start all over again cause I won't remember anything. Oh I suffer from severe depression and suicidal thoughts. I don't know what to tell you cause I'm in the same boat. I feel like nobody is helping me. I'm starting to be late to everything. Even if my appointment or work is in the afternoon. I have lost 20 lbs in two months. I just don't eat anymore. I do remember a few things but not a lot. I want some help. Anyone out there have any ideas for me or for An_252927's sister. Wish I could give you some advice for your sister. Take care!

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.