Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

OCD and Depression
An_252965 posted:
Hi All,
I hope someone can please help me with some advice. My daughter is 14 years old. She was just diagnosed with OCD and Depression December of 2012. I noticed when she was 5 some ocd tendencies. I never did anything about it and didn't want to give it more attention hoping it would go away. Big mistake. As time has gone on, she has hidden her struggles from me and the fire has been getting bigger and bigger throughout this whole time. She has been a straight A student and never had any behavior issues. Now, it's like everything has been turned upside down. She talks a lot about dying and she hates life. She is seeing a psychiatrist and we are getting help, but things are not getting better. She started of taking the SSRIs but those didn't make an improvement. Now she is on EMSAM 6mg a MAOI, 7 mg Abilify, .1 klonopin, and vitamin D and Fish oil. I just don't know if these are working and I just don't know what to do anymore. It's just a living nightmare. Can someone please tell me if they have had any improvement of anything they have tried.

PottedPlant responded:
A lot of the time it takes a while for meds to kick in. Sometimes it even takes a while to see what meds or combination of meds works best. Your daughter is only 14 so her hormones may be playing a part in this also. Her meds should eventually help, but just hang in there. It may take several weeks, or in her case, months before you find the very best meds that work for her.

Take care

jeffplatt responded:
I am a 70 year old male and have had OCD since I was about 10 . I have never taken medication for this condition. my thinking is that finding the right doctor is as important as having the right meds. I have spent almost a life time with OCD and while it has made my life more uneasy then I would have liked - that there are much worse things that I could have spent a lifetime with. thank God that they have medication now that may help your daughter feel better, and these meds are always being refined. but of cause the very best medication in the world is the love you have for each other. always show your daughter how deep this love for her is.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
102 of 140 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.