Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Lacking Motivation, Trouble Getting Started.
1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on posted:
I'd like to say that I wish this was a recent revolation, but this has been something that has been haunting me for quite sometime. I have been dealing with depression for a long time, over 20 years. And as much as I want to "snap" out of it and move on in life, I cant seem to find the motivation to get started. I'll have moments when I am ready to make that change...the timing couldnt be worse most of the time. I am mostly likely at work and by the time i get off and am headed home, the motivation is gone. I have been seeing a therapist for a little over a year and I am making progress, although it is slow goings. But baby steps, are steps nonetheless. I have tried to goal setting thing, starting out small, to get the ball rolling so to speak. But my mind, just wont let it happen, i convince myself that the goal is unimportant or not worth my time and i dont complete it. I am typically a very competitive person and I have tried to apply that to setting goals, with not much success. On the other side of that coin, when i do set a goal that i really want to achieve, I make the goal so obscene that its unattainable. Or that the only way to achieve it would be thru perfection...which i know does not exist. (With the exception of the 72 'Fins.)

Anyone else out there struggling with this? Any tips/idea's for success would be much appreciated!

IC

rohvannyn responded:
I may have that problem at times. For me the toughest thing is convincing myself that it's worth the effort. Inertia is so much easier, and it's so hard to imagine better times when I'm in the middle of it. The only thing that helps me is distraction, getting my mind thinking about something outside myself, and then I can be more easily convinced that change is possible.

Canadianhero responded:
I have been there and at times feel like I cannot even get out of bed. I was recently diagnosed with ADD and mild depression and have had to take baby steps in order to achieve goals.

#1. Get a smart phone.

#2. Download a to do list app #3 Make a list of the basics like its time to clean! #4 an organized house is the key to starting other goals #5 eat at the same times everyday #6 excersize 10 minutes at least per day #7 find a group of people that have depression that meet on a monthly or weekly meeting or online and talk about it #8 set goals in steps break them down so they are not overwhelming #9 stay away from video games and tv if you cannot put an alarm clock in another room and set it to a reasonable time to end watching tv or playing games. This helps to pull yourself away from games or tv in order to realize how long is spent playing or watching. #10 find a productive interesting hobby that is social like running groups sports bridge euchre carpentry etc

miriamam replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thanks, but, how do you "getting my mind thinking outside myself"? Miriam

DIYNow responded:
I have found that my health has is a major factor. Stay healthy by exercising and better yet with friends.

Also, I discovered that certain foods seem to elevate my depressed level.

Eat a balance diet.

DIYNow replied to miriamam's response:
It helps to have someone to do things with. If you are alone take turns helping out a friend at their house then have the favor returned. Even if it is as mundane as housework.

rohvannyn replied to miriamam's response:
The best way to get your mind thinking outside yourself, is to focus on something outside yourself. What I mean is this: If a person only focuses on themselves and their problems, It is going to push a person even farther into depression. So focusing on something else, even if it's caring for a plant, or a daily walk, or a really good book, will help. Volunteering, little projects around the house, hobbies. I know it's hard to find motivation, but think of it as an escape from the prison of your own thoughts.

Sensibility replied to rohvannyn's response:
It's called Big Mo as in momentum! You have to get going to keep going. You will notice that once you get started you'll want to keep going, but the key is to get started - even if it's small. Anything to get you started on your goals. I agree with Rohvannyn, try volunteering, or something like Habitat for Humanity. Focusing on things outside yourself may help you to not focus on the depression. Best of luck to you!

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Bringing Peace Back to the Holiday Season Through Mindfulness
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bringing-Peace-Back-to-the-Holiday-Season-Through-Mindfulness&id=8165694 More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.