Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Dealing with an aging parent with depression
dmb618435 posted:
Help! My mother is 75 years old and has recently been diagnosed with depression and was prescribed Paxil by her GP, not a Psychiatrist. Well, she doesn't take the Paxil because it makes her dizzy, but she is in desperate need of medication therapy as well as counseling with a Psychiatrist! She is in complete denial that she even has a problem and said she was only taking the meds to humor me. Not only is she very depressed, she has also become so extremely skinny that I am afraid she has a eating disorder as well! She is 5'2 but only weighs 90lbs right now! She doesn't like to eat and is very stressed because of my dads recent illness, so she has lost so much weight. She stays in pajamas half the day and has lost interest in everything.
I am at my wits end! I don't know what else to do! She refuses to see a Psychiatrist, is non-compliant with her meds, is in denial and doesn't like to do anything anymore outside of taking care of my father! Overall, she has been generally healthy, but over the last year her memory has been going more and more and she gets easily confused. I can't force her to do anything, but I am scared that she may become even more sick! I know this is long and I apologize but it takes some time to explain. She is a shell of the mother and woman I used to know. What legally can I do?? She isn't suicidal or homicidal. But she really needs help A.S.A.P.

rohvannyn responded:
The only thing I can say is to talk with her about your concerns. It must be a very difficult sitation for you, and a frightening one. Her denial is going to make her problems worse, and it sounds like her depression and stress are causing cognitive problems. Is her husband dying? If so, maybe she wants to go with him at some level... the only way to help her is to get her interested in her own health. If you can get through her denial somehow, she could probably get better, but no one can make her want to live if she doesn't want to. I wish you the best in reaching her.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.