Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

    What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
    How and Why to Report a Post
    Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

    Need Psychological Support/Help
    An_253596 posted:
    I'll spare the details, but ask for help.

    My partner has a month or two to live. I've known that this was coming and I'm getting though this part fine.
    Unfortunately, I have several larger (if you can believe it) challenges. It culminates in unmanageable stress and depression, made more challenging by the fact that I can't leave the house, even to get food, my (non-depression) medications, or to talk to anyone. Her family (very hostile toward me) has vetoed any notion of getting me help in caregiver role, even from a professional.

    Two more wrinkles: my partner's disease has left her hostile toward me. And I am not "free" to mention my partner's situation to my family or friends, so I can't call in friends/family for support.

    And so I turn to the internet, seeking help from someone on a confidential basis who is qualified to help. Thoughts?
    rohvannyn responded:
    Wow, what a tough situation. The help available to you kind of depends on your area and how much you are willing to get local authorities involved. You may want to try contacting local respite care places on your own, there are several connected to churches, like Catholic Community Services. I'd direct you to the Area Agency on Aging but it sounds like you are not 60 years old or better. It's pretty much impossible to give you advice without more particulars here, but I understand the need for caution. In the end, with someone about to die, and you being housebound like that, the situation is going to get serious very soon and you could possibly end up in a terrible position too.

    If she is the one keeping you in the house, you might have to ask for outside help. I really hate to suggest the police but that could be an option. The only thing you can do is to re-evaluate the reasons why you can't talk to anyone, and try to think of anyone you could talk to. You obviously are in over your head and I would hate to see two people dying there, not just one.

    The only glimmer of hope is maybe a confidential crisis line, at least for suggestions? I wish you the best.
    coopysue responded:
    I reached out for help her too, today. your situation seems impossible. Do you journal or meditate? There is no fix for the externals, so I hoping for some relaxation and coping skills for you. I don't think my e-mailshows up on these, but you are welcome to e-mail me @ if you would like to just be able to have an internet supportive connection. good luck.

    Helpful Tips

    Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
    Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    30 of 41 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.