Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

I feel like I'm detatched from my life....
JustThinking posted:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am 26 and recently started a new job that pays more, has a shorter commute and will allow my wife and I to get our finances in order and finally start a family. I thought this was perfect. I had spent my whole life to try and get to this point (school, entry-level job with long commute, etc). Now that it's here, I'm happy that I am where I am, but I've started questioning what the point of everything is. I know this is much more of a spiritual and/or philosophical question, and such thoughts have always plagued me from time to time, but this is constant.

I find myself sort of drifting through life not getting as excited and feeling as though I'm watching or hearing about things I do and not really doing them. I feel like I am having snapshots where I am doing one thing and suddenly that moment has passed and I'm doing something else. I am no longer 'in the moment,' but removed. I find myself thinking: "how did i get here?" and "where did the time go." I am only 26 and have some of the best parts of my life ahead of me. I am afraid I've lost my child-like innocence where I enjoyed the moment and anxiously awaited fun the future and fondly remembered things in the past. Now, I'm looking at the future as just something that will be in the past before I can even realize it.

I have made an appointment to speak to a psychiatrist about this. I don't know if its something someone like that can help with. I don't know if its even significant compared to most other people's problems, but I just want to get back to enjoying the moment, remembering the past and looking forward to the future and not dreading that it is all so quick and ultimately, once the moment passes, won't matter.

If anyone else has experienced this and can advice what I can expect from my psychiatrist visit and the future and whether this is just my new life-outlook that I should learn to live with (and maybe handle on a spiritual level) or if there is a chance this is depression oriented and counseling and/or other treatment can help.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.