Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

ECT and TMS treatments--anyone here have either and if so could you comment?
Anon_963 posted:
Hearing about these two treatments available for folks who can't tolerate medication side affects of Anti-depressants or for whom those meds don't help.

I've read about them but wonder if anyone here has had either one or both? If so--has it helped? It seems to me if this is as affective as it seems to be as indicated on some sites, it would be very helpful to folks here suffering from severe depression or depression not responding to meds. Just offering this information I've been reading up on---and wondered about it. I see where many here are truly suffering and wanted to mention it so you can inquire for yourselves.

depressedinsacramento responded:
I had ECT. I had 7 ECT treatments. Set aside a month for them. I remember very little of the experience itself but I'm willing to share.

I've had virtually no luck with medication. I now take Provigil which keeps me from sleeping all the time but doesn't do anything else.

Everybody who knows I had ECT says it made a big difference. I had gotten where I hardly said anything and I spoke very slowly and often didn't finish sentences. After ECT I sound normal. It didn't really impact my mood as far as I can tell.

It did mess with my memory but it's been pretty minor.

Overall, I think it probably improved my quality of life but didn't lift my depression very much. ECT has made the most difference of anything I've tried, but that isn't saying much. It's a very close call but I'd probably do it again.

Anon_963 replied to depressedinsacramento's response:
How long ago did you have this done and do you mind my asking your age range?
Are your memory problems serious or just periodic and minor?
Did you have the treatments 4 to 5 times a week for 4 weeks? That's what I"ve read. So sorry it hasn't helped your depression though--that is the intent. Is Provigil another antidepressant?
Will you have more treatments or is it a one time try? And did your insurance cover it?
Hope you start showing some improvement. Thanks for sharing

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Goals
Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.