Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Greater depression after help?
CarlF posted:
Question or observation:

Depression for years. I was finally able to return to my Depressed Anonymous group last night. Very good meeting. I felt better after. Yesterday was also a wonderful day with abstinence from over eating (first successful day in a long time).

I woke up early this morning in a much lower level/depressed. I have had this happen previously. Tough to figure out. Helping oneself = greater depression?

rohvannyn responded:
Your observation is interesting and I believe I have noticed something similar. I wish I understood this, but sometimes it almost seems as if depression gets worse when I am working the hardest to get better. To me it almost feels as if my mind is used to the depression and wants to stay in the condition. It's certainly baffling to me. Keep at it, though, I'm glad you are taking steps to help yourself. Also, congratulations on the success, no matter how temporary, it's in the right direction.

CarlF replied to rohvannyn's response:
Withdrawl from depression (which has become the 'normal'). That is indeed what it feels like.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.