Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Intrusive thoughts--anyone here have them along with the depression?
Anon_963 posted:
They come at the oddest times. Sometimes something on TV or in a dream you may recall and sometimes for no reason.

Disturbing, but I'm told that most folks have them and just 'let them go' but those who are depressed or have Obsessive thinking patterns, about many things, and are worriers, they will linger and cause even more depression. Even certain anti-depressants can make them worse. So, wondered if anyone here has them?

And if so, how do you handle them?

My therapist said they are 'normal' and yet troubling for many folks who allow them to trouble them. They have no basis in fact! They are just 'there' and usually are worse if one is depressed. You just have to learn to say 'stop' and get busy and know they are normal but can cause distress if one obsesses over them.

rohvannyn responded:
I have them happen sometimes, where I will just be going along being normal and then an intrusive thought just flits into my head. Sometimes it is minor, just a whimsical thought, and sometimes it is really disturbing, like a detailed thought of something I would never even wish to do. At those times I try not to give the thought too much energy because what you pay attention to grows more important. I try to think about other things instead. If I can't quite do that, I try to analyze why that thought might have popped into my head, and I reassure myself that I am not interested in whatever the thing is. Ultimately, shifting my focus to another activity works best and quickest.

If someone tells you "don't think about the blue elephant," of course you will think about a blue elephant, unless you think about something else instead, like a pink giraffe, or maybe a jet fighter.

Anon_963 replied to rohvannyn's response:
So true! Sure is unnerving but from what I've read and learned from a therapist--most folks have them--but they just dismiss them and then others who are more obsessive tend to dwell on them, making them more disturbing. True--if you tell yourself there is 'no pink elephant in the room', you'll see it!
Sorry you have them but it does help to know it's a normal thing and for most folks, in time they will pass. Many who have depression seem to have them more---Guess it's some 'chemical' in the brain that misfires or etc.You're so right, just keeping busy and re-focusing is the answer.
Anyway, thanks for your in put.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

coping
can you think about the positives in your life? You work hard. You know how to do that. That's pretty admirable. I Remind myself of little ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.