Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

I'm amazed how many posts tell you NOT to tell others about my depression...
An_253727 posted:
I'm amazed how many posts tell you NOT to tell others about my depression...I really just want to send an email or post on Facebook that I've been struggling with depression for 15 years, and I'm looking for help and support. But then I search the Internet and even these discussions, and everyone says NO, DON'T DO THAT. Because no one will understand what I am going through. But I just want people to know why I've been so cold and avoiding activities...and I want support, since I don't have a lot of friends.

Is letting others know about your depression really that bad?

lexi023 responded:
I understand how you feel. I have been dealing with depression lately as well and have been wishing to talk to someone but it feels as if no one cares.

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on responded:
Anon,

I can understand why other people tell you not to open that can of worms. but if YOU feel the need to tell them, it is YOUR life. How I or anyone else handles their depression is mutually exclusive from how anyone else should handle theirs. They are right in saying that most people dont really understand, they just think you can snap out of it or its not a disease...those are the people you dont have to tell. If you want to talk to your parents, siblings, etc. go for it. They should be there to support you, if they dont understand, that is no reflection on how they feel about you. Look at it this way, its like having a conversation with a rocket scientist. They can tell you how a rocket works or a satalite, but most of the information will go in one ear out the other. That doesnt make them or you less of a person. You just dont know the subject, if you educated yourself on the topic, the conversation would be better the next time...and i was not referring to you specifically Many people just dont understand depression, nor do they want to. They think seeing a therapist is witchcraft or something.

We all want/seek support in one form or another, sometimes its nice to have someone to talk to and vent and know they will love you just the same. I support your decision to tell your family and to explain to them, odds are they want the absolute best for you. The might not completely understand, but that's okay, you made the effort and they will see your sincerity.

Best of luck!

IC

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on replied to lexi023's response:
Oh and another thing...have either of you two talked to a counciler or a therapist? They care and can offer great coping mechanisms/skills to get you thru those tough times.

rohvannyn replied to 1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on's response:
Although I have seen bad reactions to my admitting that I am depressed, I think generally friends and family appreciate knowing what is going on. You may encounter some shock and surprise if you have been doing a good job covering up. I don't think you wil get too bad a reaction if you tell them simply that you have been suffering from depression and would appreciate some support. Just be prepared to clearly explain what kind of support you really need.

My question would be, who is saying you shouldn't tell family and friends? Considering the source can really affect whether you want to take the advice or not.

itmatsb responded:
You are amazed because you don't understand the great negativity that many ignorant people have about depression. They can be very critical of you. Hardly a way to get the support that you are looking for. Of course you can tell close friends and family about your depression, who may or may not understand.

Just know that if you publicly post about your depression on Facebook, many are going to judge you very negatively, especially if they are not close friends. And once it is in the public domain, it is there forever. Potential employers can find it and will likely discriminate against you. If you are looking for support, you are better off to post on here for support where there are many of us who do understand about depression.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.