Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Couples with depression
Kath67 posted:
I have been dealing with major chronic depression for years. It was probably undiagnosed in high school, finally did something about it in my 30s. I have been taking medication and seeing a counselor for well over 10 years now. I try to do things that are healthy. Eat right, avoid alcohol. I don't excercise enough but try to at least go walking. I've also been diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks and am getting those under control as well.

My husband was diagnosed with depression a while back. I actually thought he had suffered some damage from a concussion and insisted he get things checked out. The neuro-psychiatrist said his cognitive functions were fine, but he had depression. He briefly went to counseling and took medication - wellbutrin, which he said he felt no side effects from, but also said he didn't notice a difference in behavior. Well everyone else noticed a difference in behavior! He was able to focus and complete household tasks, was much less irratable, less argumentative. Even his conversations which had been like trying to talk to a three year old with adhd were much easier to follow.

He stopped taking them. I threatened divorce. He took them again for a while (again, night and day in behavior) but stopped again. Now he has a beer when he's stressed. I know one beer does not an alcoholic make, but it's a pattern and alcoholism runs in his family. he's back to doing little around the house, though is always available for his elderly mother to paint her house and do her grocery shopping.

I'm at a loss. I can't make him get help. I can't make him take his medication. But when he doesn't, my stress levels go up and I need more. I've tried to have that conversation with him, both gently and not-so-gently. We've done couples counseling which helped for a while, but that was when he was also doing his own counseling and taking his meds.

I'm at a loss. He's not a bad person, but I fnd more and more I don't want to be around him because he brings out the worst in me, and since he doesn't help around the house much I feel I may as well be alone.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.