Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

dealing with lifelong depression
meandmyfamily posted:
I have been depressed most of my life...and i am 54! i have tried numerous meds, including one that made me feel like i was going to die. there are many, many reasons for my depression, inherited for one...long story. i would like to connect with people trying to cope everyday and to give and receive support...i have been through rehab, counseling (years ago) so i know what to do...just have trouble doing it! i tend to try and have a good outlook...but then the depression takes over...i was just looking for an outlet to talk about my issues as well as others in order to try and find some type of help....

wiccacelt79 responded:
I feel the exact same way and been through many years of theraphy. I get tired of talking about it and it seems that it takes over my life. My partner has been there for me for 8 years but i still feel like i am going through this alone. right now i am looking for a therapist just having trouble finding one who will take the insurance i have.

hopeless2013 responded:
I've been dealing with depression since i was 12 yrs old now 30 yrs old. I've had been on so many meds especially the past two years I've lost count. Recently I've started to go to a counselor to talk about my problems I haven't been in a long time . I'm worried that this is my last hope. I have support from my husband and mom lucky. But i still feel alone. I feel like no one understands me. I sleep all the time, have no energy, and deal with many physical and mental symptoms. The past two years I've have had a hard time keeping a job and I'm now unemployed. I don't know what to do anymore. I hate the person I am when I'm depressed.

An_254007 responded:
I am going through the same thing. I also have PTSD emphysema and other medical issues. I take one day at a time. It has been very hard. I also have a daughter that has multiple sclerosis and is in a wheel chair. It hasp bed to her spine. I am on many meds and some days I just can't deal and do nothing. Counseling did help some but not enough. We can get through this one day minute at a time

meandmyfamily replied to wiccacelt79's response:
believe me, I understand. I am sure my husband and kids are tired of it too, since I've been like this for so many years. Like you, they are pretty supportive, I think just because it's an almost everyday thing, they let it go in one ear out the other.
I am also planning on going to a therapist that came highly recommended by 2 people a long time ago and I still have yet to go! Sometimes I feel if I make an appointment, I don't want to go anyway...it's like a vicious circle. Have you called around to see if anyone will take your ins? Also, your ins. company should have a list they could probably tell you. Maybe you have some free support groups in your area. Good luck! Let me know if you'd like...

meandmyfamily replied to hopeless2013's response:
Well, I can tell you (and your counselor probably will, too) there is still hope! At least you have support from your husband and mom. The 'alone' feeling is just the depression. I feel sorry for myself a lot of time and have a hard time getting myself out of that 'mode'...even though I have a lot, and I mean a whole lot to be worried and sad about. It's just that vicious cycle. I thought I'd try to reach out to others on here before I see a therapist, but will probably end up going to one that I have actually called but cancelled ugh..Anyway, it is so hard when you feel this way to make yourself do anything, so I understand where you're coming from. I'm on meds now and still feel they don't really help. Sometimes I will be OK for a day, then the next feel just like I cannot do a thing but sit and think about everything I have to do, but just can't bring myself t do it...it may last a day or a few, I just never know. Well, let me know how you're doing if you'd like!

meandmyfamily replied to An_254007's response:
I am sorry to hear that you are going thru it, too. Believe me, I feel the same...I am sorry about your daughter. How old is she? if you don't mind...I am planning on going to counseling and hope I follow through (because I've told myself that many times)
and 'haven't gotten around to it'...But you are right one minute and one day at a time...I will say I have diagnosed myself with PTSD and pretty sure they will tell me that as well as anxiety and paranoid. I feel I am OK some days and horribly depressed others, probably more bad than good unfortunately...
thanks for responding and let me know how you're doing if you'd like.

itmatsb responded:
I would not give up trying. Keep trying any new anti-depressants as well as combinations of medications. I hope that you have seen a good psychiatrist, instead of just a regular doctor. I was depressed for 25 years and then was helped by light treatment even though I was depressed year round. It took at full month to finally take effect. And what about ECT? It's not the nightmare that it used to be. Wouldn't it be worth it to have a happier life? Only you can answer that after looking into it. I sincerely wish you the best. Being depressed is not a good way to live.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Dont Like What I Have Become
Don't like what I have become......again...every few years I go down this hole and am scared to death More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.