Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
What is wrong with me
An_254209 posted:
I'm a 24 year old university student. I've always been the shy type since I was a child. As the time pass I found it increasingly difficult to start a conversation with a stranger or even look at someone in the eye who is not a very close friend of mine. And I can't stop thinking the small silly mistakes I've made in the past and feel bad and regret. And because of that I feel guilty about not talking to people I'm suppose to get along with. like my colleagues or neighbors. I always consider myself not worthy. most of the time I give up my comfort for the comfort of someone else not because I'm nice but because I think what everyone else doing is more important than what I'm doing.And I also have a problem in decision making for example I can't choose the clothes I wear, I would spend hours in a shop and buy nothing bt when a salesperson or a friend suggest something I would agree with it completely.
And i have been feeling down with no interest in working and also difficult to focus, I was the 50th of the whole country in the university entrance exam and now i struggle even to pass a semester exam. are these normal or is there something wrong with me ?
I live in a country where psychiatric patients are heavily stigmatized so can anyone please suggest me what i should do .

momuv4girls responded:
I highly suggest you going to see a Dr. at the University - I believe most have a psychiatrist available to students.

Depression is very treatable, and you can feel better!!

Take care,
-Kathleen

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
HI- I agree, it seems like you may have some depression here but that may be from your dependent/avoidant personality style you talk about. Medications like antidepressants may help and psychotherapy may help a bit more. Student counseling is usually free and run by good people. Please go see them

aenriquez25 responded:
Hello: If you don't mind me asking. When did this started happening and when did you noticed this change in behavior?

Have you talked to a professional about this?
Do you live alone? how is your relationship with family members?

Before you answer please reflect on the questions and then provide the answer only if you want to! take care, hope you feel better!

jim531 responded:
This sounds like me. It is definitely low self confidence and low self esteem. You don't feel you are worthy enough so you withdraw and don't have any confidence when you do talk to people. Also your indecisiveness is because you don't have confidence or trust in your own decisions. Thats why you look for someone else to make the decision for you. I would definitely talk to a counselor or therapist who can give you pointers for building self confidence and self esteem. There are some good self help books out there that deal with this. I still have this problem and I'm 60 now. Good luck!!

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.