Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Dealing with People who see depression as Excuse
chaphentx posted:
How do you deal with people - in business for instance- who do not understand/care a bout depression. I am small business. I told my customers in vague way that I had an illness that would delay my work. I got NO understanding. Lots of gripes and unpleasantness - even meanness. I decided to try getting job as employee - where at least my work limited to 8 hrs per day. Now creditors of business and IRS torturing me when I explain over and over that I am going to pay - just trying to get well. They see me as deadbeat even though my history doesn't show it. Before depression and inability to work - I was excellent payer, etc. How do I get people to see me as an individual and give me a little time to recover? I have no insurance so little treatment. No family support. i am sole support of elderly parents. Single 60 yr old. Thanks for comments.

itmatsb responded:
So sorry that you are suffering from disabling depression. I hope that you are seeking medical treatment for it. There are no excuses accepted for creditors and the IRS from anybody for any reason that I've ever heard of. So you will have to accept that. How much time did you ask your customers to wait? They have needs as well it sounds like. I would NEVER use depression as a reason, because most people never having had depression will understand. I would instead try for a government or university type job where people rarely have to work more than 8 hours. Just don't state that as a condition up front. Then if they expect more, just quit. Or instead with the degree of disability that you have, it sounds like a part-time job would be better for you. How much money do you need to provide for your elderly parents? Perhaps they need to downsize to pay their bills better. You can't do everything with your illness which is real. You will get plenty of support from people on this site who do understand how disabling depression can be. But you will be fortunate to find family and a mate to understand it, but to expect the business world to understand is a pipe dream. Sorry.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Bringing Peace Back to the Holiday Season Through Mindfulness
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bringing-Peace-Back-to-the-Holiday-Season-Through-Mindfulness&id=8165694 More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.