Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Daily Difficulties
abail03 posted:
Why does life seem so hard when I know that it really isn't as bad as it feels? I am on a new anti-depressant as the last one I was on no longer worked for me (I took it for about 11 years, except during pregnancies). I have been taking it about 4 weeks now and I do feel better but some days I feel like I'm just fighting to make it through. But on the other hand I feel like I'm just floating along, again just trying to make it through another day. I really hate this but I dont know what to do next. My marriage and life at home is starting to suffer more than usual too. My husband and I work full time and have three kids ages 10, 5, and 3. I am doing the work of at least two people right now and it is a very time sensitive job that affects multiple people. We never seem to have any money so that is another thing that is always on my mind. I don't know if I am just depressed and it is causing everything else to suck or if something I am doing is causing the depression? UGH!!!

maydog responded:
I feel like I'm in a similar boat as you are. I'm a working mom with kids that are a bit older than yours. I have the same feeling that life is (unreasonably?) hard. When I look at my life from an outsiders view it doesn't seem that bad, but every single day I struggle to face it. And any thing that pops up (a broken down car, or a pipe bursting) throws me over the edge. We've never seem to be able to get a head financially even though we've tried so hard to. I feel your pain. I'm not sure if you are or even CAN cause your depression. But I feel you.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hi. So you seem torn in a lot of directions and are stressed. Do you see a therapist? A med can help your symptoms to some degree but doesn't change the stress or coping with the stress. These things likely trigger the depression to come back. 3 kids and a job is tough so try to get your stress levels addressed.

abail03 replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:
I do not currently see a therapist, but I think it is time I seek one. When I took a moment to consider your statement about coping with the stress, I realized that you are correct and I don't think it is something I can deal with on my own at this point. I definitely need help with that. Thanks so much for your post, it has really opened my eyes.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.