Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

(TRIGGER!) Physiology of suicide - Risks great enough to avoid it?
An_241427 posted:
Hello,

NOTE: I'm sorry if this question is inappropriate or triggering--I'm glad to delete if necessary.

I have decided with a fair amount of finality to kill myself: not now, and not that I'm in any danger at the moment. Intelligence can be the chief source of crippling depression, and as a result of it I have absolutely no romantic notions of suicide or death: I've studied autopsy reports, ballistics, muzzle velocity, everything you can think of, and I get it! Suicide is extremely risky. You can shoot yourself and only blow your face off; you can overdose wrong and be on dialysis for life; you can jump off something and be terrified and regretful for three seconds before multiple blunt force traumas splatter you across the street (Golden Gate Bridge jumpers, according to the coroner, look as though their organs have gone through a blender). There is no romantic death--it is utterly terrifying and inherently risky, and if you fail, you're far worse off than your current life no matter how depressed you might be. Emergency workers report seeing the results of suicide failures often. Trust me--I get all of this. That is exactly my problem and my question.

Sometimes the only way to talk someone out of suicide is simply to describe it, or--even though this sounds a bit heartless--describe the physiology of suicide. I believe a Desert Eagle .50 caliber handgun with hollow-point (expanding) ammunition pointed through my mouth and low enough to hit my brain stem would probably kill me before I hit the ground--but I'm not sure. I'm terrified of the result of failure, and this alone is the reason I'm still here.

My question: what would consciously happen to you if you aim for the brain stem but only blow half your brains out instead? Would you understand that you're lying on the ground bleeding to death? Sorry about the nature of this question. Thanks for any help.

thinkthinkthink responded:
Please don't kill yourself. I don't know how you would feel if you only took out a part of your brain obviously your consciousness would be skewed or ended for the brief period of time before you passed but as to anyone predicting how it would be skewed is highly variable based on what parts of the brain were damaged and what their respective functions are.
But again please don't kill yourself pain is terrible I've had depression forever but if you kill your self then you'd die depressed. I don't know what your going through but please just listen to a few things you could try.
Omega 3 - Studies have found an inverse releationship between omega 3 intake and suicide rates, countries with the highest omega 3 had the lowest suicide rates (Japan)
Gingseng is a root that acts as a stimulant and activates the parasymphatic nervous system , the brains calming center, and has been proven to help people deal with stress.
Chromium has been found to be deficient in many people with depression foods high in chromium can help balance out moods
Aerobic exercise (30 min or more) causes the release of endorphine and causes an increase in a nerve factor that facilitates neuro genesis and also helps streamline the parasympathetic nervous system
Fasting (between 18 and 24 hours every other day also results in neuro genesis)
Bacteria in the Soil "Mycobacterium vaccae are found to boost neuro gensis as well as increased serotonin levels and reduced anxiety, they are found by walking through wooded areas (kicked into the air and ingested, or found on fresh plants, (they live in the soil get on plants)
Trytophan is an amino acid that is the precursor to producing serotonin, when trying to boost tryptophan levels ( to then boost serotonin levels) pick vegetarian sources such as

• Mushrooms
  • Dark leafy greens (spinach, kale, mustard greens, swiss chard)
  • Soy (beans, tofu, tamari, miso)
  • Lentils & Beans (Kidney, black, pinto, navy etc)
  • Cauliflower, cucumber, celery, peppers, eggplant
  • Seeds (pumpkin, sesame, sunflower) and Nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds)
  • Whole grains (oats, buckwheat, rye, bulgur)
If you want the tryptophan to reach the brain pick from these vegetarian sources since tryptophan in meat (turkey chicken etc) has to compete with other amino acids to pass the blood brain barrier, since vegetarian sources are incomplete protein their are less amino acids competing with tryptophan for uptake
Studies have proven that the quality of your gut bacteria also influences your mood, mice with poor gut bacteria were associated with anxiety in mice and when the mice were given a transplant of gut bacteria from mice without anxiety they lost anxiety like symptoms so long as they kept eating a diet with fermentable fibers ( fiber is eaten by good bacteria in the large intestine) The bacteria are believed to act through the Vegus Nerve a nerve that goes drectly form the gut into the brain bad bacteria can be treated with probiotics ( active cultures in fermented foods, or supplements) prebiotics simple sugars and fibers that form food for good bacteria dietary fiber
and many raw fruits and vegtables as well as raw honey (has both pre and probiotics0
And lastly human beings have a fantastic number of chemicals inside them at birth it is 200 A healthy diet can reduce them
  • Raw Chicory root: 64.6% prebiotic fiber by weight
  • Raw Jerusalem artichoke: 31.5% prebiotics by weight
    (NOTE: Jerusalem artichoke is NOT the green globe artichoke you see at the store. It's a totally different plant.)
  • Raw Dandelion greens: 24.3% prebiotic fiber by weight
  • Raw Garlic: 17.5% prebiotics by weight
  • Raw Leek: 11.7% prebiotic fiber by weight
  • Raw Onion: 8.6% prebiotics by weight
  • Cooked Onion: 5% prebiotic fiber by weight
  • Raw Asparagus: 5% prebiotics by weight
  • Raw Wheat bran: 5% prebiotic fiber by weight
  • Wheat flour, baked: 4.8% prebiotics by weight
  • Raw Banana: 1% prebiotic fiber by weight.
  • - See more at: http://www.prebiotin.com/foods-containing-prebiotics/#sthash.vFkVHMdD.dpuf

thinkthinkthink replied to thinkthinkthink's response:
    My point is that there are so many different things going on in the brain you can't buy any crap from people that say Depression is a character flaw or some form of weakness the brain dictates mood you don't call someone weak because they can't will themselves sober you look at it scientifically and see that GABA has saturated the brain leading to slower nerve impulses leading to stumbling slured speech etc, depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain , you can find the reason why it isn't working, Don't give in keep going, I know what your going through I really do but you can beat it. Keep Fighting Message me if you want to talk.-Brady T.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
    without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    102 of 140 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
    Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.