Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Depression affects physical health?
rusted posted:
Hi,

I am 16-year-old girl. I've been having chest pains (general chest area) and burning sensations. My parents took me to many doctors (almost 5 to 6 doctors) and got it confirmed that it was not heart or stomach related. But the last one told that it was "stress-induced-gastritis"...It started two years ago - about the same time I started feeling very depressed. For the past month, the pain is getting very frequent and more intense. I stopped telling it to anybody because even after trying medications nothing happened and they are starting to think I am faking it or they just did not care. But since the pain is too much, I am worried. Can it be because of depression? It usually passes over time if I don't think about it. So is it very serious or will it go away with time? Oh, if this information helps, I do have almost all the symptoms of depression and the pain comes almost always when I am upset and low (which is very frequent).

-R

momuv4girls responded:
Hi,

I'm glad you wrote.

I can not say whether or not your chest pains are because of depression, but it is good you were checked out by several Doctors, who ruled out heart issues.

You mention you tried medication......do you have a psychiatrist who diagnosed you?
Often times you may need to try a few different medications before finding one that works well - so just because 1 or 2 didn't do anything, doesn't mean there isn't a medication out there that will work for you.

I urge you to keep talking to your parents, or a school counselor.
Tell them how you are feeling, and ask about going to a psychiatrist and/or a psychologist to sort this out.

You don't need to suffer in silence sweetie, there is help out there and you can feel better !!
Here is a link for you to explore.
http://www.thebalancedmind.org/flipswitch

Take care, and write back anytime.
((Hugs))
-Kathleen

rusted replied to momuv4girls's response:
Hi,

Thank you so much for replying, Kathleen.

Um, I haven't been to a psychiatrist or a psychologist or the school counselor. The place I am from... Well, If I go to therapy, it doesn't mean I have problems. It means I am the problem. And embarrassment. And I don't think I can meet a school counselor. I can't deal with familiarity right now. The counselor knows my teacher. And she'll tell my parents. Nobody I know out there understands. I don't want it to hurt more than it already does. They'll try to twist it about and say it's my fault. No. I want to go to someone who is not judgmental or think I am weak...

But I would definitely take your advice to meet a psychologist when I go to college - in about five months, that is. I'd be more independent then. I can deal things alone without any...hindrance.

So I don't need to go to a physician anymore? Directly to a psychologist? I have never been to doctors or hospitals much before this issue, so I am quite confused about the procedure.

Thank you again for your help.

-R

momuv4girls replied to rusted's response:
Hello again,

I can not say for sure if you don't need to go to your physician anymore - - I was saying, if they ruled out any physical causes, then it could be your depression / anxiety causing your symptoms.

Depression/anxiety are like a coin, one side is depression, and the flip side anxiety - they are related....does that make sense?

I am sorry you feel your family would not be supportive - - are you sure ?? Often times teens feel one way, but in reality the parents want the best for their child and won't rush to judgement or blame.

Another idea, may be to go back and see your physician (privately), and tell him/her about how you are feeling. Privacy laws probibit the Dr. from discussing your issues with anyone - even your parents.

I like your idea of seeing someone when you go to college, but that may seem a long ways off.......
One thing you can do for yourself that is proven helpful for depression is exercise. I would make a point to go to the gym or walk, run, ride your bike everyday - - sometimes you may not feel like it, but afterwards it can really help your mood.

Take care sweetie, and wishing you all the best!
-Kathleen

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.