Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Major depressive disorder
dillee posted:
I'm a 51 year old female and I believe I have suffered with depression most of my adult life. About 3 years ago, I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder, severe anxiety and PTSD. My mother had depression at at 50 (I was 14), she committed suicide. I try really really hard to deal with it and not have it control my life, but lately, it has been. I started a new job about 6 months ago and have missed a large amount of days already. Like many, I don't feel comfortable talking about it with my employer. Let's face it, in today's times, they don't really care. If you can't do your job, they'll find someone who can. I woke up really depressed this morning. It was very difficult to get out of bed and I couldn't stop crying. I tried taking a vacation day from work, but my boss sent me a message saying she needs to speak with me about my absences. I know they have been excessive, but not more than I have the sick/vacation days I have earned. We won't have this talk until after the holidays. Now that's making my anxiety worse. Does anyone have any advise on how to approach this with my supervisor to help her understand what I go through on a daily basis?

Anon_28807 responded:
I understand your situation. I am 53 female. By the grace of God I was able to get on disability several years back. In your situation I believe that I would be honest with my supervisor. What else can you say for missing so many days? Tell her your in the process of trying a different med. or something to that effect, so that they know you are in the process of getting this illness under control and assure them it will be under control. However my true advice is seek God in prayer and let Him lead you through this. I also suffer from major depression, anxiety disorder and ptsd. It's has been along hard battle and I am sorry to say even with all the meds, I still struggle, I will being praying for you. GO WITH YOUR GUT!!!

dwashvp responded:
I have been on both sides. I hope that you get what you need to deal with your depression and past triggers but I don't think you should share your health with your employer, and they have no right to ask. I hope you find the strength to get out of bed and make small steps to feeling happy again.

deezeetee responded:
Hi there, Just joined the site few minutes ago. We are about the same age And similar history. I am so tired of crying. Kind of hard to give An advice to somebody that suffers the same. Keeping busy is the best advise, if you can get busy, or active At all. Busy does not have to be a lot. Trim a bush in your yard, Water something, it really doesn't matter. Things that are not Really important. For me, it would be cleaning the floors, and maybe the kitchen if I feel ambitious. But right now is 2:30 am and I'm Gonna try to go to bed, can you sleep?

dwashvp replied to deezeetee's response:
No sleep. Last night I took my regular meds and a few more, and I was up and down every hour. I can't get more meds until Thursday for sleep. I don't know what I am going to do for the next 3 days.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.