Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Holidays are hard
ckat56 posted:
I really would like to start a back and forth discussion with someone...someone who understands the day to day desperation of living with a depressed spouse. My husband of 35 years worked extremely hard at his job for the majority of our years together, all the while battling Treatment Resistant Depression, with more and more episodes until now it is all consuming. He has always been a fighter, but he lost his job 3 years ago and had to take disability. Since then, it has gotten worse and worse. His anger is intense, though I treasure the few good days we have every now and then. I had to take early retirement to take care of him (and I didn't think my job would keep letting me run home all the time for emergencies.) Now, due to our much lower income, we have had to move back to my family community in another state. I need the help. But it is often too hard to share things with even my family, and he is slowly alienating them, as he did all of his friends back 'home'. People truly don't understand him or his illness. He can look so normal at times, and they don't understand what it is truly like most of the time. I love him greatly and have chosen to stay with him, though there are times the pain for me is unbearable. I would just like to talk back and forth, brainstorm, emote, complain, be elated at times, or share with another person who understands. It's hard to sort through the forum. Anyone interested? I need a more personal back and forth method. I would like to go to a group meeting, but there are none available in my small home town, and even when there were in my bigger, previous hometown, the meetings were 3 hours long and I couldn't leave him that long. Thank you for listening.

rohvannyn responded:
It can be really difficult in a situation such as yours. In a way you have some of the challenges of a caregiver to deal with along with your normal day to day tasks and that can be really, really tough. It's so easy to feel isolated. One thing I can tell you is, if you click "watch this discussion" on any threads you want to follow, webmd will send you a notification of any responses so you don't have to sort through all of it.

I think you could find some support here, welcome to the community!

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.