Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

faking it
mara80 posted:
I need to vent...

I get so tired of putting on my fake smile and telling people around me that I'm fine. I'm not fine. I'm tired and frustrated and overwhelmed. I'm angry with myself for not having my life together. I feel pathetic. I feel guilty for feeling this way, like I should just be thankful for what I have... and I am thankful...I just used to be optimistic too and I miss that. I feel like I'm just going through the motions...I want my life back, I want a do over.

Thanks.

rohvannyn responded:
I hear that, for sure! It's a long road back to optimism. Sometimes I think it's a skill we have to practice. And it really hurts to feel obligated to say "fine" when people ask how you are, because they either won't care or they will go way overboard asking how you are doing. I hope you feel better soon.

afinch19 responded:
omg, Mara80 - are you in my head? Everything you said - exactly what I have been feeling for I dont know how long. If i had to pick just one of those adjectives it would be: overwhelmed. but really i feel all of it. And somewhat disgusted with myself for not doing well at ANYTHING - being a parent, spouse, daughter, friend, employee etc etc. I just got a nice raise at work for the work ive been doing. Inside i just got this sinking feeling. I've been waiting for everyone at work to figure out what a fraud I am. Now that I got this raise I think "ugh now the expectations if me are even higher and my charade will come crashing down even sooner!" How messed up is that? I getvrewarded for doing a good job and I turn it into another reason to feel guilty and like a failure.

ok. Sorry for the rant. not at all useful to u but my intent was to let u know you're not alone in having those types of feelings. If I figure out how to get a do-over I will definitely let u know!

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Goals
Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.