Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Breaking up due to depression
noodles96 posted:
My gf of 5 and a half yrs just broke up with me, she suffers from depression, and I am having a hard time understanding it. I in return it has put me in a funk where I am in no mood for anything. She has a hard time making decisions and after talking to her therapist she came to the decision that the first decision she had to make was to leave me. She said not to contact her, but she hopes to be friends down the road, we don't have kids together but we have one of each, and it's hard for me to realize I won't see her daughter grow up with my son. Any thoughts or suggestions will be helpful.

loonytunz responded:
it sounds to me like she's making decisions to fast and maybe not thinking clearly. All you can do is give her time and let her work thru things. You never know her next decision may be that she realizes that she can't live without you. Depression is a hard thing to live with for both of you. It's also a hard thing to understand, both for the person who has it and the people in their life. I would just wait it out and see what happens and you have to realize that this is not your fault, I have went thru many bouts of depression over the years and sometimes we do things thinking that this will get us out of our funk and we make choices that don't make much sense but at the time they make perfectly good sense but then we think it thru and realize we have made a mistake. So give her some time and take some time your self. I think if you try to chase her it will just make her want to push you away even more. Any how this is just what I think you should do

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.