Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Anybody have sudden symptoms that feel like flipping a switch?
rohvannyn posted:
Just curious about other peoples experiences. Last night I was doing fine, having a good time, feeling relaxed. Then just about midnight I suddenly had massive self doubt, trouble thinking straight, and depression started up. I hadn't had anything strange to eat or drink and I wasn't on any medications. But it struck so quickly, with no stimulus, and it took a lot of talking before it got better. Afterwards I could think straight but was still quite sad.

Any others with something similar?

mmggoo12 responded:
Hi rohvannyn,

I have similar experiences like that. For me I am fine but then out of the blue I snap and fall into a deep depression where I cannot control how I feel or my thoughts and it's hard to really function at what I want to do. For me I have noticed a trigger, for example, the tone is someone's voice will cause me to just flip the switch and get me depressed. For me it's mostly my husband since he doesn't understand what I am going through. What I've been trying is to stop, and clear my thoughts (very hard to do for me) and think of the present and continue with what I have to do at that moment. Another things that helps me is music. For me it's an outlet that makes me focus on more positive things because for me music makes me happy.
I hope this helps.

rohvannyn replied to mmggoo12's response:
Thanks for responding! I really do think it might be the tone of voice. Certain intonations and inflections just send me into a tailspin and remind me of all my shortcomings. It's just a little scary how quickly I can go from clearheaded to a fog of doubt.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Goals
Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.