Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

About to graduate and feeling like I can't do it
teanigami posted:
I'm a senior in high school and am going to graduate in June, then going to university in the fall. I've had several long episodes of constant malaise/feeling worthless/being clingy and I think it's coming back. I am a very good student with a 3.8 and AP classes as well as being in 2 top string groups. I don't deal with too much homework because I manage my time well, but I am getting sinus surgery because I've had chronic migraine-like headaches almost every day since around 7th grade. My head doesn't hurt in the morning, but usually in the middle of first period of every day my head starts to hurt and I feel sick. That doesn't go away until I wake up the next day.

Anyways, I also have been with the same person for quite a while and it's making me upset constantly thinking about going to different schools. We'll be an hour away from each other, which is pretty good considering the locations of the other schools I looked at, but we both don't want to move on from each other. I'm a VERY easy crier (and probably always will be) and these days I feel like I'm going to tear up any moment. I also have times where I think about why I'm even here and if going forward with life will be worth it in the end. I've never been diagnosed with anything depression-wise, but it feels like I'm very prone to the kind of thing where you don't hurt yourself on the inside, but it slowly gnaws at you from the inside and leaves a hole that never gets filled.

My family has a long history of depression, bipolar disorder, suicide, abuse, etc. and I don't want to be another one of them.

momuv4girls responded:
Hello, I'm glad you wrote.

Is there someone you can talk to - - your Mom, or Dad? Someone who will understand, and empathize with your situation?

With a family history such as you describe, it is possible that you have a strong genetic component and prone to depression/anxiety.

I urge you to talk to someone....school counselor, parent, trusted Aunt/Uncle, Pastor, Rabi, friend's parents - - someone who will listen and give you comfort.

Take care - and write back anytime!!
-Kathleen

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.