Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

New here, need help
mointx posted:
Depression runs in my family. I've always managed to overcome it until 3 years ago, after my divorce and taking care of my dying daddy for a year. And now, with the peri menopausal stuff, I feel like I'm in a dark hole. All I want to do is sleep. My job is suffering, my life is suffering. I am currently on an antidepressant and it seems like it works ok and then all of a sudden, let something stressful happen and immediately I sink further. Can someone please help me, tell me this is normal for depression and how do you overcome it? I never thought I would be here.

Anon_6061 responded:
Sorry for all your troubles! Unexpected wrenches in life can certainly trigger depression. And hormonal changes can cause it too. I had a hysterectomy (totally unwarranted at that). The loss of my hormones caused me to spiral quickly into suicidal depression. I'm sure that betrayal by the gynecologist I had respected for 20 years didn't help matters.

Since I knew mine was hormonal, I resisted taking an anti-depressant but instead chose HRT. But all HRT is not created equal and the gyn who gutted me refused to see me when I told him the HRT he prescribed was not working. I had to find a doctor who understood the strong hormone and depression link. In the meantime, I forced myself to exercise (walk) almost every day to raise endorphins. Research has shown that it can be just as effective as AD's. In hindsight, it may have been better to try an AD. But once I got on a more suitable form and dosage of HRT (estrogen in my case), the depression lifted. I still have a lot of anger over what was done to me by this doctor and all the long-term harm and rapid aging it has caused but at least the depression is gone.

Please pursue treatment (meds, therapy) for your depression if it is severely impacting your life. And if the situation becomes an emergency, take appropriate action. Best to you!

mointx replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you so much for responding. The doctor does have me on birth control as HRT. That has maybe help a tiny bit. I know that I need to get out and walk more and ride my horses, but my motivation sucks. I am work in progress though. This site does help though knowing how others are handling this. Thank you again for responding.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.