Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
St. John's Wort
crolen posted:
Hi everyone,
I just had my initial appointment with a psychologist about a week ago for possible depression/anxiety...honestly not sure exactly what is going yet, have a follow up in 2 weeks. Just know something isn't right.
I started taking St. John's Wort 2 days ago. Keeping a log of how I feel everyday to share with the psychologist on the 19th.
Has anyone tried this? What was your experience?
Thanks!
Cara

rohvannyn responded:
I've used it. For me I get the best results with the tea, but it's a pain to brew. I find it has a mild antidepressant effect, small for me but very helpful. Be careful if you are taking any other medications, St. Johns Wort has a habit of either strengthening or weakening the effects of other drugs.

For me personally I get a lot better and more obvious results from matcha, which is a powdered very pure green tea of Japanese origin. The caffeine helps the effect a little, but the antioxidents and amino acid L-theanine seems to be a large factor also. It provides a calm sense of relaxation and wellbeing. It's not some awesome cure-all or anything but is a bit of a support to the mood.

crolen replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thanks! Not sure if I could stomach the tea so we'll see how this goes. I'm keeping a log of when I take it and how I feel at different times of the day.
Honestly, so far I think my mood swings are worse but I'm going to stick with it at least another week to give it a chance.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
So my post above. This med has some proven effectiveness and like all antidepressant type meds may take a few weeks to work assuming your dose is good. It can also give you side effects too. If there are no clear good effects after several weeks, then it likely will not help you

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.