Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
I need to know once and for all..is this treatment resistant or bipolar depression
An_255463 posted:
hi, I have been depressed for 25 years. most of the time, I have been very depressed..however, there are times when I have come out of the depression and this is one.

As opposed to feeling "dead", I am again social, talkative ( not too much though) , goal oriented, productive, optimistic etc

My psychiatrist says that I am treatment resistant and that I have just come out of the depression, but, will regress.

Another psychiatrist thinks that I have bipolar 2....

Can anyone offer advice.

Again..80 percent of the t ime I have been depressed, however, now, I have come out of it and feel great!

Help me please once and for all.

I have been on every anti depressant and also had ECT twice, first time in worked for 2-3 years, second time it did not work.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hi- you could look on this site or others and try to find the mood disorders questionnaire. Take it and score it. If high, then perhaps bipolar 2. Do you ever have at least 4 days in a row where for no apparent reason you are excessively happy, talkative, need no sleep but have tons of energy, no fatigue? Accomplish tons of things and have your personality change to where you are arrogant and feel invincible? if yes to all of these, perhaps Bipolar 2. Your doc would also have to make sure you do not have a personality disorder that causes resistance. If you have had a depression that failed to respond to 2 antidepressants or more then you are resistant. If you have had 3 or more depression there is a high likelihood it comes back regardless of bipolar or not. go to your doc often and be monitored for relapses.. Glad you are doing better!

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.