Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

    What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
    How and Why to Report a Post
    Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

    I need help
    An_255533 posted:
    This is my first time here and I need some advice in how to talk to my adult married daughter into getting help. I strongly believe that she is to be suffering from depression and I'm not sure on how to bring the subject matter up to her. Not without her getting upset and/or mad at me. I would appreciate any advice that will be helpful in this matter. Also she is in her 2nd trimester of pregnancy and she has a 18 month old. And her husband runs a business that he puts in long hours at on a daily basis.
    An_255570 responded:
    Hi, I suffer from depression and its very difficult that you will convince her to seek help If she doesn't want it, its not necessarily that she thinks she doesn't need it, but she might not want to admit it to anyone and thinks she can handle it, or she knows she needs help but if she?s indeed depressed maybe she?s too down and doesn't feel worth the help, also I know that when I got diagnosed I felt even worse because it confirms that there is something wrong, so maybe she fears the diagnosis.
    Because she is pregnant, she has something to fight this depression for, my suggestion would be to talk to her gynecologist or physician because it might also be related to the pregnancy, maybe that way she can be directed to a specialist, and that might get things going.
    I hope this helps you both.
    atti_editor responded:
    Hi and welcome to the community,

    Did you notice her depression symptoms after she announced her second pregnancy or have they been evident for a while? Depression is common during pregnancy and as the previous poster responded, it would be a good idea to speak with your daughter's doctor or gynecologist about her symptoms and possible treatment plans. Here is some information on depression during pregnancy that you might find helpful. Here are some tips for helping a loved one with depression that you might also want to look through.

    I wish you and your daughter the best,
    grandpagriz replied to atti_editor's response:
    Thanks to everyone that has responded to me.

    I'm told that it started when she lost her internship as a elementary school teacher last year. Her grandmother just pass away just a couple of days ago. And her older brother was just place in the hospital last night from complications from being a diabetic. I've spoken to her husband about my feelings. He called me to say that he called and spoke with her doctor. He was told that they couldn't help her without her asking them for the help. So I'm hoping that maybe with other family members expressing their worries about the health of her and the the baby, she will seek out the help.

    Helpful Tips

    Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
    Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    30 of 41 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.