Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Need anti-depresant that will not aggravate arrythmia
An_255597 posted:
I have been too tired and blah for too long. I do not feel sad or that the world is awful, do not have self-loathing or hurtful thoughts but I cannot seem to get any work done around the house and I do not get involved in activities I previously enjoyed. I have serious health issues that interrupt my sleep and I do not recognize the person I have become. I can rise to the occasion if need be, but it takes a lot of extra effort. I have asked my cardiologist for an opinion on anti-depressants that will not aggravate prolonged Q or cause shortness of breath. He told me he could not help me and referred me to a new Neurologist. I have been thru all kinds of specialties and I really do not want to try a new doctor. I make a good impression and doctors seem to minimize the changes I see so clearly.
Can anyone recommend an antidepressant that does not affect cardiac patients? I want to try this before I go for further neurological evaluations. I will bring these recommendations to my PC physician who is more willing to listen and not discount my self assessment.
Thank you.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hello- in general there are several antidepressants that won't increase your QTc or hurt your heart. You can always get an EKG every few weeks to be sure. Zoloft was actually studied in patients with heart attacks and came out pretty well. Prozac has been around for years and should not be a problem either, but your doc will have to make sure you are not on some other interactive drugs. EffexorXR, Pristiq, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron should also be safe. You can take almost any antidepressantr except for celexa and any of the tricyclics. Again, to be safe, just ask to get an EKG about 1 week after you start a med or increase its dose....

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.