Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Need advice on certain tingling feeling I get on the top of my head (not neurological)
gbxr2 posted:
This isn't directly related to depression per se (I do not suffer from depression clinically, although [like most people> I feel sad sometimes>, but the answer to my question has been eluding me for a long time. Basically, every time I get extremely upset, hurt, depressed (non-clinical), down...etc (i.e. gf dumps me, loneliness sets in...etc), the area above my left ear on my scalp starts tingling.

This sensation is similar to the feeling you get when your foot falls asleep. Numb, but not painful. This has been happening to me as long as I can remember and I would really like to know what it is/what causes it. Its not something necessarily bad, but it's something that has always been there and is directly linked to times that I'm the most down/hurt/lonely...etc.

To give an example of a time where this happened, I can remember back to when I was dating my last girlfriend. It was during the summer before we broke up and we were driving back from a night out downtown that we had an argument during. I knew something was up and knew that she was starting to pull back on the relationship (I just had a gut feeling about this). And what started racing through my mind was the thought that I loved her much more than she loved me. This clearly was upsetting to me and although I didn't show any of this outwardly, the tingling sensation immediately started to happen on my head. It was right above my left ear, on the side of my head, just like every other time i've ever been this hurt/upset.

This feeling is very weird and I have never asked anyone if this type of thing happens to them, but have found no mention of this type of thing anywhere on the web.

In some ways, this sensation is helpful because it gives me a physical symptom to go along with the emotional response I get from various aspects of my life. But I would really like to know if there was a medical/scientific reason for this sensation.

Any advice/insight would be helpful.

Thank you,

-G

deasertrose responded:
I don't know but I do get a tingling on my head. I've never paid attention to what I was feeling at the time. Have to do that. I suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder and Major Depression. Thanks for bringing up the question.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.