Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Depression
Anon_19746 posted:
My boyfriend has been depressed for about a month and a half. It just seems really weird. He had to have a colonoscopy and then 2 weeks later he had a barrium enima done. After that he started to where he didn't eat much, got to where he didn't want to do nothing, doesn't hardly talk unless you ask him something. The doctor put him on two different kind of meds and it doesn't seem to be working. He went back today and he said they changed his meds and swabbed his mouth to see what would be the best medicine to put him on. Has anyone ever heard of that before?

27515528 responded:
I never heard of swabbing a mouth to determine the best medicine for depression. If it works for your boyfriend please let us know on this site.

havetolearntoaccept responded:
This may not seem so strange when you look at what he went through. First he seriously cleansed his intestines and then he had a procedure that almost definitely put him under to do the colonoscopy.
The cleaning out destroyed all his "good" digestive bacteria and should be replaced using acidophilus or other supplement that restores his healthy digestion.

More importantly is the fact people are not aware of how serious a medicine anesthesia (any type) is to the system. Any surgery can make a person depressed and it is usually all the meds used. It takes for me about 4 to 6 weeks to feel right after any similar procedure. Even antibiotics have the same affect.

pammie_55 responded:
I actually had this done the end of last year. It came back with very specific results as to which medicines would work best for me, which not so much, and which ones won't help me at all. It was very interesting.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hi- there are at least 2 companies that test saliva or blood to look at genetics of depression. These are not fool proof but can suggest what type of antidepressant to use for good effects and also can tell doctors what meds to avoid due to side effects in some cases..

chainlinks replied to havetolearntoaccept's response:
Thank you

chainlinks replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:
Thank you so much.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

need some help here
Does anyone knows anything about "chronic cortisol efficiency" , one of my cousin has it. I would like to know more about this. Feel ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.