Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Want ECT But My Doctor Won't Consider It
zeddd posted:
I've been dealing with severe depression for 5 months and not feeling better. I've been on Effexor, then Wellbutrin, then added Latuda, then added Lyrica. Nothing is helping. I also take Seroquel to help me sleep at night. I have really bad dysphoria...I just feel awful. No motivation. My house is a mess. It takes everything in me to get to work. I'm afraid things are slipping at work...I don't want to lose my job. I've mentioned ECT to my doctor, but he brushes it off saying it's just for people who are suicidal. I don't want to get to the point of losing my job and becoming suicidal, but I see things going in that direction. How can I make my psychiatrist consider ECT? I'm sure he'll want to play with medications some more but I can't image doing this for another 5 months. I'm exhausted and at the end of my rope.

beautifulbuffalo responded:
I had over 50 ECT shocks in a 4 year period. I went through a lot of medicine before they considered it. I was hospitalized for suicidal tendencies and that's when they tried ECT and it worked so over 4 different hospitalizations they did ECT on me. Then put me on medicine. I was in the hospital for 30 days at a time. I lost a lot of my memory when I had the ECT and even now I haven't recalled those memories. They use ECT as a last resort. Good luck.
BB

bensing replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
I had ECT also and have permanent memory loss. To me, it just adds to the sadness. My husband and I have been married for 7 years (I'm 49) and I don't recall half the stuff we've done together, places we've been. I can see in his eyes how that makes him feel. Really think about this and best of luck to you in your decission.
Lora

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.