Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Provigil or Nuvigil
karbob30 posted:
Anyone know of studies or peer reviews that document the successful use of Provigil or Nuvigil to combat the sleepiness or fatigue associated with many meds for depression?

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hi- yes, I authored one
there are small studies, most peer reviewed BUT these are not major studies. clinically and officially these drugs treat fatigue from apnea, narcolepsy and shift work.... in smaller studies they seem to help fatigue from other illnesses or med side effects but I certainly cannot tell you the effects are proven. in practice, these types of meds do seem to help some patients

karbob30 replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:
Dr. Schwartz,
Is it possible for you to provide a way to find these studies you mention? My wife started taking Nuvigil over two years ago to fight the fatigue caused by the medications she took to treat her depression. Until this year the Nuvigili prescriptions were covered by our private health insurance. I am now retired so both my wife and I are now on Medicare. The Medicare part D provider says they cannot fill the prescriptions for Nuvigil because it is on a list of CMS high risk medications for persons over 65. My wife and her provider have gone through two appeals with the insurance company and one with Maximus. All three were denied. Our next step is to appeal to an Administrative Law Judge. My wife's psychiatrist supports that decision. That's why we are seeking the specifics on the studies regarding Nuvigil helping to mitigate the fatigue caused by meds for depression. We would be grateful for any specifics you could provide.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

rohvannyn
You are special. I just want to let you know what a wonderful person you are. You give great advice. You're a very giving person...and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.