Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Recently Diagnosed With a Question
yoursong309 posted:
I was just diagnosed with depression and am seeing the doctor on friday to get an antidepressant. I don't know what antidepressant he'll put me on, but my brother told me that Xanax is titrated until you find the level that's effective for you. Could someone give me more information on how titration works? I'm a little uncomfortable with changing the dosage of a medication based on my say-so.

sw3tflower responded:
Xanax is an antianxiety medication and commonly used to control panic attacks. It is not an antidepressant.
Antidepressant medications are normally titrated until the exact dose is found that helps your depression. Titration means to start at the lowest dose of medication and then gradually increase it until you find the level that works for you.
Take care

slindman responded:
If you are newly diagnosed you should not be put on that! Also, not for depression. Just trust in your doctor and ask all your questions. I have self educated and it helps so learn what you can. Possibly even google what type of questions to ask. Good luck

whatsupbuttercup responded:
I was also titrated onto cipralex to manage my depression and panic attacks. This is done also to make sure your body doesn't get a smack in the hypothetical face with the SSRI, which can cause negative side effects. Easing onto it worked great for me because I avoided a lot of negative side effects associated with first going on SSRIs, and I now use a level I'm comfortable with for "maintenance care". I'm guessing you've spoken to your doctor by now, but if anything feels wrong to you don't do it without learning more first! Be an advocate for your own health

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
I agree. Xanax is not approved for depression, just certain anxieties. Titrating means starting low and raising the dose appropriately until your symptoms go away or side effects become a problem.. most medications for depression, anxiety, blood pressure, diabetes are titrated..

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.