Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
ECT OR TMS
beautifulbuffalo posted:
I have had over 50 sessions of ECT over the last 15 years with good results but I had to be in the hospital. I don't want to go into the hospital again.

TMS I don't know much about except it's expensive and most insurance companies don't cover it and I can't afford it.

But can somebody give me a comparison

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
you know all about ECT. it is very good, but the treatments make you tired, hurt your memory and you have to travel to hospital to get it. It is clearly effective for you, so in general we suggest continue treatments that work... that being said, TMS requires you to go to an office, every day for 30-60 minutes for 2-4 weeks. there is no seizure or medications and side effects are pretty low if at all. It is unclear if it is as effective for depression as it is FDA approved for less chronic depression

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Bringing Peace Back to the Holiday Season Through Mindfulness
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bringing-Peace-Back-to-the-Holiday-Season-Through-Mindfulness&id=8165694 More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.