Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Too depressed to get help?
jaljewel posted:
I am a single mom of 4, husband completely gone. My mom was helping, but passed away recently. I have physical medical limitations. I have no family that can help. I know I need help, but seem overwhelmed by more things to do to get help. I am so tired all of the time. Anyone felt like this?

sw3tflower responded:
I felt that way too. (I 'lost' my family and my home when I filed for divorce after 30 years and the same month moved my mom from a retirement community, to an assisted living home and finally to a hospice) The irony is the sicker (more depressed) you are the less likely you will get help. It took too much energy to call a doctor, much less drive there.
I mean, the more depressed/anxious I felt, the more I stayed in bed. I had no energy, was confused, overwhelmed, couldn't make decisions, was tired. I didn't even know who to call or where to go. It took too much energy to think about it.
If you are seeing a doctor for medical conditions, call and make an appointment. Tell him (her) how you are feeling. He can refer you to a place you can get help.
You are grieving.
You have been through a lot. It takes time to heal emotionally after losing so much. It does get better, but perhaps the doctor can prescribe a medication that can help you get through the worst of it and you can begin to heal.
Please take care. It will get better.

jaljewel replied to sw3tflower's response:
Thank you so much this has made me feel a lot better. I know that I have to get myself together in the next few months so I can go back to work when the kids get back in school. I lost my job because I did hospice for my mother. If I don't work in the fall, I won't be able to keep the house.Thanks for your advice, I will call my Dr. tomorrow. I'm glad it got better for you.

sw3tflower replied to jaljewel's response:
I hope you made the appointment. Just go one step at a time and don't overwhelm yourself. First thing is to get through the grieving process and let yourself heal.
You sound like a very caring, loving person....a very strong person....but are you a little hard on yourself? You can only do your best and you are doing that. You can get through this. Just give yourself a little time

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.