Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Depression Workbook
candyace posted:
Hello,
I've been struggling with depression for a few years, and have had the bad habit of just ignoring it, or suffering in silence. Part of this has to do with how my family treated my brother a few years ago, and also how when I did mention it, I was just told it was because I didn't go outside enough or do things with friends. But I am tired of living this way.

Anyways.
Currently I am looking for a GP
And I am reading 'Feeling Good' by Burns, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any other useful self-help books? Preferably one that is a kind of day-by-day workbook. (Not necessarily with daily worksheets included, but some kind of plan instead of just suggested exercises and ideas).
I don't have a lot of money to waste so I want to make sure its a good resources.

Thankyou!

jim531 responded:
Hi Candyace. I also have the book "Feeling Good" which is great for cognitive therapy. However some of us have depression that is more related to low levels of the brain chemical "serotonin". The antidepressants work on the serotonin. If you are against taking medication, the two best natural ways to raise your serotonin levels are; daily aerobic exercise and lots of sunlight. I jog or bike ride 6 days a week and on cloudy days I make sure to use my indoor light that simulates the sunlight. Their is good book by Dr. Andrew Weil that explains a lot of natural ways to treat depression. Hope this helps and best of luck.

candyace replied to jim531's response:
I am not against anti-depressants, but I can't give them to myself! I don't have a Doctor, and am trying to find one
But in the mean time I don't want to just sit on my butt.
I've been taking some St Johns Wort, and am starting to take some Omega 3 supplements as well.

I try and go outside & be active, but its not always so easy to just go out and do it. Which is kinda why I'd like a workbook, then I have something to be accountable to. And I am also not in the right mind to come up with a plan myself. Or I'll just make up reasons to myself of why it's no good.

I will look into Dr Weil, thanks

littlepickle responded:
Hi. Do you have the "feeling good" workbook as well? Lots of worksheets are available online. Google " CBT worksheets". Sometimes it helps to use worksheets but your first priority is getting appropriate medical care.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.